Philip Bounds is a Marxist historian, journalist and critic. He holds a PhD in Politics from the University of Wales and has written a number of books, including Orwell and Marxism and British Communism and the Politics of Literature,1928–1939. .
Much of Dr Bounds's work is concerned with the intellectual history of the British Left. His book on George Orwell advances the controversial argument that Orwell's literary and cultural criticism was deeply influenced by the work of British communists. The book has been praised for its originality by leading Orwell scholars such as Peter Davison, John Newsinger and Jean-Jacques Rosat.
Philip Bounds has described himself as a "libertarian Marxist" and says that his "enduring belief is that individual liberty can only be achieved in a socialist society". In some of his writings he has expressed cautious sympathy with free-market libertarians and has written pamphlets for the Libertarian Alliance. He once claimed that "The great virtue of right-wing libertarians is that they stolidly defend freedom even in the hardest cases." 
He sits on the editorial board of Fifth Estate Online – A Journal of Radical Mass Media Criticism. His articles, reviews and essays have appeared in a range of journals and newspapers including Cultural Logic, Nature, Society and Thought, Critique, Fifth Estate Online, Freedom in a Puritan Age, The Individual, the Morning Star, Weekly Worker and Caravan.
- Orwell and Marxism: The Political and Cultural Thinking of George Orwell, London: I.B. Tauris, 2009.
- British Communism and the Politics of Literature, London: Merlin Press, 2012.
- Cultural Studies, Plymouth: Studymates, 1999.
- Edited with Mala Jagmohan, Recharting Media Studies: Essays on Neglected Media Critics, Oxford: Peter Lang, 2008.
- "Just Say No: Herbert Marcuse and the Politics of Negationism" in David Berry (ed), Revisiting The Frankfurt School: Essays on Culture, Media and Theory, Farnham: Ashgate, 2012.
- "Learning from his Enemies: George Orwell and British Communism" in Richard Keeble (ed), Orwell Today, Bury St. Edmunds: Abramis, 2012.
- Remembering Communism: The Experience of Political Defeat, in Shuddha Sengupta et al. (eds), Sarai Reader 06: Turbulence, Delhi: Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, 2006.
- From Folk to Jazz: Eric Hobsbawm, British Communism and Cultural Studies, Critique: Journal of Socialist Theory, Vol. 40 No. 4, 2012.
- Orwell and Englishness: The Dialogue with British Marxism, Cultural Logic: An Electronic Journal of Marxist Theory and Practice, 2007.
- Beyond Ways of Seeing: The Media Criticism of John Berger, Fifth Estate Online: An International Journal of Radical Mass Media Criticism, May 2008.
- Unlikely Bedfellows: Orwell and the British Cultural Marxists, Nature, Society and Thought, Vol. 20 No. 1, 2007.
- The Case for Revolution [on Zizek], The Caravan: A Journal of Politics and Culture, May 2010.
- Exasperating but Necessary [on Ayn Rand], The Caravan: A Journal of Politics and Culture, November 2010.
Selected Discussions of Bounds's Work
- Peter Davison, Review of Orwell and Marxism, American Communist History, Vol. 9 No. 3, 2010.
- Peter Arkell, Review of Orwell and Marxism, A World to Win, August 2010.
- Christopher Pawling, Review of British Communism and the Politics of Literature, Rethinking Marxism, Vol. 26 No. 4, 2014.
- Jack Farmer, Review of British Communism and the Politics of Literature 1928–1939, Socialist Review, April 2012.
- Lawrence Parker, Review of British Communism and the Politics of Literature 1928–1939, Weekly Worker, 926, August 2012.
- Andy Brooks, Review of British Communism and the Politics of Literature 1928–1939, New Worker, May 2012.
- Bounds, Philip. "About Dr. Philip Bounds". Wordpress.com. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Bounds, Philip. "Lying About Libertarians". Fifth Estate Online, February 2008. Retrieved 27 February 2014.
- Bounds, Philip. "Come to the Lifehouse: Pete Townshend’s Unfinished Utopia". Fifth Estate Online, March 2007. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Bounds, Philip. "Tintin and the Anti-Semites: Spielberg’s Ambivalent Tribute to Hergé". Fifth Estate Online, November 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2014.
- Bounds, Philip. "Orwell and the Paranormal". The Orwell Society. Retrieved 28 February 2014.