Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder
|Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder|
|Studio album by Philip Oakey and Giorgio Moroder|
|Released||19 July 1985|
Philip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder was a collaborative album released in 1985 by Philip Oakey, lead singer of the electronic band The Human League and seminal electro producer Giorgio Moroder, whose early records had been a major influence on Oakey.
The album is most notable for containing the song "Together in Electric Dreams", which was the title track for the movie Electric Dreams and a major hit single. In fact, the album was essentially a spin-off project set up by Virgin records to capitalise on the success of the single.
The album consists mainly of sequenced beats, along with dinstinctly FM-generated bell-like sounds, and a number of sounds generated by analog synthesizers. This album uses very little sampling. Notable, also, is that the first five songs on this album (the entire first side on the original vinyl LP version) are seguéd together.
In 1985 two further singles were released from the album. In July 1985 "Good-Bye Bad Times" was released with a big budget music video but only reached number 44 in the UK singles chart. This was followed up in August 1985 with "Be My Lover Now" which reached only number 74. The lack of success of the singles effectively put an end to the brief Oakey/Moroder partnership. After recording this album, Philip Oakey returned to work on the next Human League album, Crash in early 1986.
The Human League regularly perform "Together in Electric Dreams" at their live concerts, usually with Philip Oakey giving named credit to Giorgio Moroder.
In 2003, in an interview by Simon Price included on the The Very Best of the Human League (DVD), Oakey was asked to comment on the experience of working with his idol Moroder on this project. He diplomatically characterises him as a "very quick worker", claiming they made the entire album in a few days.
- "Why Must The Show Go On" – 4:10
- "In Transit" – 0:56
- "Good-Bye Bad Times" – 3:51
- "Brand New Love" (Take A Chance) – 3:59
- "Valerie" – 3:24
- "Now" – 4:26
- "Together in Electric Dreams" – 3:52
- "Be My Lover Now" – 3:51
- "Shake It Up" – 4:16
The album was reissued on CD in 2003 with the following bonus tracks:
- 10. Together In Electric Dreams (Extended)
- 11. Together In Electric Dreams (Instrumental)
- 12. In Transit (Extended)
- 13. Good-Bye Bad Times (12" Remix)
- 14. Good-Bye Bad Times (Instrumental)
- 15. Be My Lover Now (12" Mix)
- 16. Be My Lover Now (Instrumental)
- Philip Oakey - vocals
- Giorgio Moroder - producer and some keyboards
- Arthur Barrow - keyboards, programming and drums
- Richie Zito - guitars
- Joe Esposito and Elizabeth Daily - Backing vocals