|Member of the New York State Assembly
from the 6th district
|Preceded by||Robert Wertz|
|Born||April 6, 1956 (age 57)
Bronx, New York
|Residence||Central Islip, New York|
|Occupation||emergency medical technician, police officer|
|Education||Brentwood High School|
Philip R. Ramos (born April 6, 1956 in Bronx, New York) is an American politician representing the 6th Assembly District of the New York State Assembly which includes portions of the hamlets of Brentwood, Central Islip, Bay Shore, North Bay Shore, Islip and Islandia.
Ramos is the son of a correction officer and a registered nurse. His family was one of the first Hispanic families to move to Brentwood in 1957 and has lived in the community for the past 50 years, raising his two children. He graduated from Brentwood High School in 1974, and went to work as a therapy aide at the Pilgrim Psychiatric Center. He later became an emergency medical technician and received a commendation for delivering a baby boy on the side of the Southern State Parkway.
Ramos followed in the footsteps of his father by going into law enforcement. As a Suffolk County Police Officer, he joined with other Latino police officers in founding the Suffolk County Police Hispanic Society and was elected president of the society in 1993. He worked eight years in the narcotics unit as an undercover officer. Promoted to detective in 1987, Ramos was assigned to the community where he grew up. Ramos recently retired from the Suffolk County Police Department, where he served from 1979 to 1999.
- "Bio : Asm. Philip Ramos (D-New York) biography". Congress.org. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- "Assembly Member Philip R. 'Phil' Ramos - Biography". Project Vote Smart. Retrieved October 16, 2010.
- "New York State Assembly - Member Section". Assembly.state.ny.us. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- Dan Janison (August 10, 2010). "Philip Ramos for State Assembly". Philramos.voterspace.com. Retrieved 2010-10-16.
- Official New York Assembly member website
- Official campaign website
- Project Vote Smart Interest group ratings.
|New York Assembly|
|New York State Assembly, 6th District
|This article about a politician from the state of New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|