Philip Rosedale 2014
September 29, 1968 |
San Diego, California, United States
|Occupation||Chairman of the Board, Linden Lab|
|Known for||founder of Linden Lab and Coffee And Power|
Rosedale took an interest in computers, technology, and virtual reality from an early age. He started his own company selling database systems to small businesses at 17, used the proceeds to fund his college education and ultimately earned a bachelor of science degree in physics from the University of California at San Diego.
In 1995, Rosedale created an innovative Internet video conferencing product (called "FreeVue"), which was later acquired by RealNetworks, where (in 1996) he went on to become Vice President and chief technology officer. A year later Rosedale left RealNetworks and founded Linden Lab, named after a street in Hayes Valley (a neighborhood in San Francisco). With the creation of Second Life, he fulfilled his lifelong dream of creating an Internet-scale virtual world. In 2006, he and Linden Lab received WIRED's Rave Award for Innovation in Business. On March 14, 2008, Rosedale announced he would be stepping down as the CEO of Linden Lab and assuming the role of Chairman of the Board of Directors (coincidentally exactly 6 years to the day from the "birth" of his avatar).
Rosedale had stated that his goal with Second Life was to demonstrate a viable model for a virtual economy or virtual society. In his own words: "I'm not building a game. I'm building a new continent."[not in citation given] In October 2009, Rosedale announced that he'd be less involved in the development of Second Life, because he was focusing on a new project. The announced project turned out to be a company named LoveMachine Inc, founded with Ryan Downe.
In June 2010, he announced that he was back to the office as CEO of Linden Lab. However in October 2010, Rosedale announced he was leaving his position as interim CEO.
In November, 2011, Rosedale released a new project named Coffee and Power  a site that Rosedale calls a "meta-company," that enables people to connect for small jobs and services. On April 16, 2013 Coffee & Power posted to their company blog that they were going to stop work on Workclub, their mobile application and begin work on a new company named High Fidelity Inc.
Philip Rosedale is married to Yvette Forte Rosedale.
- Business 2.0, How to Succeed in 2007, Philip Rosedale Founder and CEO, Linden Lab, Discover the Real-Life Take-Away in Virtual Economies
- In 2007, Rosedale was listed among Time Magazine's 100 Most Influential People in The World.
- http://world.secondlife.com/resident/a2e76fcd-9360-4f6d-a924-000000000003 Second Life profile of Philip Linden
- http://www.emmyonline.org/mediacenter/tech_2k7_winners_data.html Emmy Online winners announcement
- http://lindenlab.com/about/management#rosedale Linden Lab profile of Rosedale
- http://web.archive.org/web/19961231181101/http://www.freevue.com/ FreeVue site on web archive
- Wired Magazine, Issue 14.06 - June 2006, Article on Philip Rosedale
- Reuters, Adam (2008-03-14). "EXCLUSIVE - Rosedale to step down as Linden Lab CEO after the step down of M Linden who laid of 30% of Linden Labs staff". Reuters. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- "Philip Linden". Linden Lab. Retrieved 2008-03-14.
- Terdiman, Daniel (2004-05-08). "Fun in Following the Money". Wired Magazine. Retrieved 2006-12-05.
- "Next Chapter!". Philip Rosedale. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Philip Rosedale Unveils New Company: "LoveMachine Inc" Offers AI, Destruction of the Ego, Lots of Money-Making". New World Notes. Retrieved 2009-11-12.
- "Coffee and Power Site Aims to Get Jobs Done Bit-by-Bit". New York Times. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Coffee & Power: Work For Each Other, Not The Man". Read Write Web. Retrieved 2012-03-13.
- "Update Coffee & Power and Workclub". Coffee & Power Blog. Retrieved 2013-04-17.
- Second Life Community Convention Keynote Speech
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Philip Rosedale.|
- Philip Rosedale's profile at Linden Lab
- Philip Rosedale Podcast and Video interview at iinnovate
- Philip Rosedale's interview with netmag.co.uk 08/02/2007
- How I Did It: By Philip Rosedale. As told to Michael Fitzgerald at Inc.com
- FORA.tv Presentation by Philip Rosedale for "The Long Now Foundation"
- LoveMachine Inc.
- SLCC10 - Saturday Keynotes
- Foundation interview with Kevin Rose, story of his life and new venture, a co-working space.
- Coffee & Power
- High Fidelity
- Philip Rosedale interviewed on the TV show Triangulation on the TWiT.tv network