Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg
|Philipp Albrecht of Württemberg|
|Tenure||31 October 1939 - 17 April 1975|
|Spouse||Archduchess Helena of Austria
Archduchess Rosa of Austria
|House||House of Württemberg|
|Father||Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg|
|Mother||Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria|
14 November 1893|
|Died||1 August 1975
Philipp Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg (George Philipp Albrecht Carl Maria Joseph Ludwig Hubertus Stanislaus Leopold Herzog von Württemberg, Stuttgart 14 November 1893 – Ravensburg 17 April 1975) was the son of Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg and Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria. He became head of the formerly reigning royal House of Württemberg on the death of his father in 1939.
Marriages and children
His first marriage was to Archduchess Helena of Austria, Princess of Tuscany (born 30 October 1903 in Linz; died 8 September 1924 in Tübingen), daughter of Archduke Peter Ferdinand of Austria (younger son of Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany) and Princess Maria Cristina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (daughter of Prince Alfonso, Count of Caserta), on 24 October 1923 in Altshausen. They had one daughter:
- Duchess Maria Christina of Württemberg (born 2 September 1924 in Tübingen), married on September 23, 1948 to Prince Georg Hartmann of Liechtenstein (11 November 1911 – 18 January 1998), son of Prince Aloys of Liechtenstein.
Archduchess Helena died a week after giving birth to her daughter, Duchess Maria Christina.
His second marriage was to Archduchess Rosa of Austria, Princess of Tuscany (born 22 September 1906 in Parsch; died 17 September 1983 in Friedrichshafen), the sister of his late wife, on August 1, 1928 in Friedrichshafen. They had two sons and four daughters:
- Duchess Helene of Württemberg (born 29 June 1929), married in 1961 to Margrave Federico Pallavicini.
- Duke Ludwig Albrecht of Württemberg (born 23 October 1930), renounced his claim as hereditary head of the dynasty, twice marrying morganatically, with issue.
- Duchess Elisabeth of Württemberg (born 2 February 1933), married in 1958 to Prince Antoine of Bourbon-Two Sicilies, with issue.
- Duchess Marie Therese of Württemberg (born 12 November 1934), married in 1957 to Prince Henri d'Orléans, Count of Paris. Marriage annulled, and now known as Duchesse de Montpensier.
- Carl, Duke of Württemberg born 1 August 1936, head of the House of Württemberg.
- Duchess Maria Antonia of Württemberg (31 August 1937 – 12 November 2004).
Philipp Albrecht, Duke of WürttembergBorn: 14 November 1893 Died: 17 April 1975
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
King of Württemberg
31 October 1939 – 17 April 1975
Reason for succession failure:
Kingdom abolished in 1918
References and notes
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstlich Hauser Band XVI., Limburg an der Lahn, 2001, p. 179-180, 600.
|This article related to German royalty (1871–1919) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|