|Full name||Philipp Wollscheid|
|Date of birth||6 March 1989|
|Place of birth||Wadern, West Germany|
|Height||1.94 m (6 ft 4 1⁄2 in)|
|Playing position||Centre back|
|Current club||Bayer Leverkusen|
|2007–2008||SV Rot-Weiss Hasborn||18||(0)|
|2008–2009||1. FC Saarbrücken||30||(3)|
|2009–2010||1. FC Nürnberg II||42||(1)|
|2010–2012||1. FC Nürnberg||52||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 04:06, 10 March 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Born in Wadern, Saarland, Wollscheid started his career in the youth teams of various local amateur sides. He made his first team debut in March 2007 for SG Noswendel-Wadern in the Landesliga – then the seventh tier of the German football league system. At the start of the 2007–08 season, he joined SV Rot-Weiss Hasborn in the fifth tier Oberliga, appearing 18 times for the club before moving to 1. FC Saarbrücken six months later. He struggled to make an impact during his 18 month spell at the club, and made many of his 30 league appearances as a substitute. Following Saarbrücken's promotion to the Regionalliga in 2009, Wollscheid decided to look for a new club. He arranged a trial with 1. FC Nürnberg, and subsequently signed a three-year deal with the club.
Having not trained at a youth academy like many other young footballers, Wollscheid admitted to knowing little about tactics before he joined Nuremberg, and had little idea about how a back four operates. He spent his first season at the club playing for the club's reserve team, making 26 Regionalliga appearances and scoring one goal.
He rose to prominence during the 2010–11 Bundesliga season, making his first team debut in a 3–1 defeat against 1. FC Kaiserslautern in November 2010. He soon became a regular starter for Nuremberg and finished the year ranked third among all Bundesliga defenders, according to kickers player ratings.
He represented the German national under-20 football team on one occasion. On 29 May 2013, he made his international debut for Germany national team in a friendly game against Ecuador in Boca Raton, Florida.
- As of 10 March 2014
As of 04:24, 19 August 2013 (UTC)
- "Wollscheid, Philipp" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 14 May 2012.
- Linkesch, Frank (28 November 2011). "Auf Kloses Spuren". kicker Sportmagazin (in German) (Olympia-Verlag). p. 14.
- Koster, Walter (25 June 2011). "Saarländer Philipp Wollscheid ist der Senkrechtstarter des 1. FC Nürnberg". Saarbrücker Zeitung (in German). Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- Fischer, Johannes (27 October 2011). "Wollscheid's long and winding road". Bundesliga. Retrieved 23 December 2011.
- "Von Viererkette hatte ich wenig Ahnung" (in German). SPOX. 25 March 2011. Retrieved 6 January 2012.
- "1. Bundesliga – Topspieler" (in German). kicker.de. Retrieved 28 July 2012.
- "'Jewel' Wollscheid to join Leverkusen". UEFA. 24 November 2011. Retrieved 21 December 2011.
- Philipp Wollscheid at fussballdaten.de (German)
- Philipp Wollscheid at transfermarkt.de (German)
- Philipp Wollscheid at IMScouting