Philippa "Pippa" Marrack FRS is an English biologist, based in the United States, best known for her research into T cell development, T cell apoptosis and survival, adjuvants, autoimmune disease, and for identifying superantigens, the mechanism behind toxic shock syndrome. She collaborates with her husband, John W. Kappler.
Marrack was born in England, and completed both undergraduate and Ph.D. work at New Hall, Cambridge University. To earn her Ph.D, she worked at the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology with Alan Munro, where she began to work on T cells. She later did postdoctoral work with Richard Dutton at the University of California, San Diego.
Her first faculty position was with the University of Rochester, followed by National Jewish Health, Denver, Colorado and the University of Colorado.
Significant papers 
- J.W. Kappler, M. Roehm, P. Marrack, "T cell tolerance by clonal elimination in the thymus," Cell, v.49, n.2, pp. 273–80 (1987)
- P. Marrack and J. Kappler, "The Staphylococcal Enterotoxins and Their Relatives," Science, v.248 (4956), pp. 705–11 (1990).
- J.W. Kappler, U. Staerz, J. White, P.C. Marrack, "Self-Tolerance Eliminates T Cells Specific for MIS-Modified Products of the Major Histocompatibility Complex," Nature, 332 (6159): pp. 35–40 (1988).
- J. White, et al. (P.C. Marrack), "The V(beta)-specific superantigen staphylococcal enterotoxin B: Stimulation of mature T cells and clonal deletions in neonatal mice," Cell, v.56, n.1, pp. 27–35 (1989).
- ^ Rennie, J. (1992) Profile: Philippa Marrack and John Kappler – Keeping It In the Family, Scientific American 267(2), 43-44.
- ^ "Philippa Marack To Be Honored for Lifetime Achievement in Immunology", May 4, 2003.
- ^ AAI Award History
- ^ Immunologist "Philippa Marrack to Receive Rockefeller University's Pearl Meister Greengard Prize", Nov. 2, 2005.
Further reading 
- HHMI Profile of work
- "Becoming a Scientist", Philippa Marrack, HHMI
- "Philippa Marrack Targets T Cells and Autoimmune Disease", ScienceWatch
- Christine Bahls, "Philippa Marrack", 'The Scientist v.18, n.6, p. 13 (2004).
- "Profile: Philippa Marrack", Nature Medicine, v.10, n.12.
External links