Philippe Blanchard was born in January 1942. Since 1980 he is Professor of Mathematical Physics at Faculty of Physics, Bielefeld University . He is both director of the Research Center BiBoS (Bielefeld-Bonn Stochastics) and deputy managing director of the Center for Interdisciplinary Research  (Zentrum für interdisziplinäre Forschung, ZiF) at the Bielefeld University.
Concurrent with that he is also editor of "Progress in Mathematical Physics", "Mathematical Physics, Analysis and Geometry", and „Fundamental Theories of Physics". Among his 240 scientific publications are books such as „Mathematical and Physical Aspects of Stochastic Mechanics" (with P. Combe & W. Zheng, 1987), "Mathematical Methods in Physics: Distributions, Hilbert Space Operators and Variational Methods" (with E. Brüning, 2002), and "Mathematical Analysis of Urban Spatial Networks" (with D. Volchenkov, 2008). His fields of interest comprise the application of functional analyses and probability theory (stochastic analyses, random graphs), quantum and statistical physics (percolation theory, self-organized criticality), epidemiology (disease spreading), and sociology (learning as a social process, social contagion).
- NEMO – Network Models, Governance and R&D collaboration networks (EU, 2006–2009)
- Network formation rules, random set graphs and generalized epidemic processes (Volkswagen Foundation, 2006–2009);
- From basic concepts and methods on the structure and function of complex networks to modeling of concrete real world networks (Volkswagen Foundation, 2004–2006)
- with M. Röckner, and F. Russo. 2010. Probabilistic Representation for Solutions of an Irregular Porous Media Type Equation. Annals of Probability. BiBos Preprint 08-05-293.
- with M. O. Hougler, and R. Filliger. 2010. Hyperbolic Angular Statistics for Globally Coupled Phase Oscillators. Europhysics Letters 89(1): 10001. doi:10.1209/0295-5075/89/10001.
- with V. N. Kondratyev. 2010. Spinodal Regions due to Disorder in Superferromagnets. Physica Status Solidi B . 247: 685–687.
- with D. Volchenkov. 2009. Probabilistic Embedding of Discrete Sets as Continuous Metric Spaces. Stochastics 81: 259–268.
- with M. Hellmich, P. Lugiewicz, and R. Olkiewicz. 2009. Continuity and Generators of Dynamical Semigroups for Finite and Infinite Bose Systems. Journal of Functional Analysis 256: 1453–1475.
- with D. Volchenkov. 2008. Markov Chain Methods for Analyzing Urban Networks. Journal of Statistical Physics 132: 1051–1069.
- with D. Volchenkov. 2008. Intelligibility and First Passage Times in Complex Urban Networks. Proceedings of the Royal Society A 464(2096): 2153–2167. doi:10.1098/rspa.2007.0329.
- 2008. Composite Systems: Entanglement, Envariance, Events and Born’s Rule. European Physical Journal Special Topics 159: 37–45. doi:10.1140/epjst/e2008-00691-1.
- with E. Brüning and F. Petruccione. 2008, eds. Emerging Quantum Technologies. European Physical Journal Special Topics 159. doi:10.1140/epjst/e2008-00686-x.
- with D. Gandolfo, J. Ruiz, and M. Wouts. 2008. Thermodynamic versus Topological Phase Transition: Cusp in the Kertesz Line. Europhysics Letters 82(5): 0003. doi:10.1209/0295-5075/82/50003.