Phill and Phil's Perfect Ten
|Other names||The Perfect Ten With Phill Jupitus And Phil Wilding|
|Starring||Phill Jupitus, Phil Wilding|
|Producer(s)||Simon Crosse, Charlie Jones, USP Content|
|Air dates||since 2008|
|No. of episodes||51 + 6 Perfect Ones|
Phill And Phil's Perfect Ten is a comedy audiobook and irregular podcast hosted by Phill Jupitus and Phil Wilding. It is recorded and offered for free on their website and iTunes after each recording, and archive editions were available as audiobooks on audible.co.uk and iTunes each containing 4 episodes and bonus material in the form of an introduction and a 'Perfect One.' The show reunites the duo from their days on BBC 6 Music and has covered a range of topics and established a range of running jokes. Stephen Fry provides narration in the form of the introduction and stings; music is played by Jupitus on a ukulele. The content features strong language and adult references.
The series was initially concluded in mid-June 2011, as the pair pursued other projects that didn’t allow for new episodes to be recorded, such as Jupitus’ role in the Monty Python musical Spamalot and Wilding’s new career as a novelist. This was an increasingly frequent issue for both of them. Shortly after the series ended, it was announced on Facebook that all 45 episodes would be made available again for free - including the four Perfect Ones from the Audible releases.
In March 2012 the duo returned with a new episode, followed by further episodes in May, September, and October, with more planned for later in the year.
'The Perfect Ten' involvs Phill Jupitus and Phil Wilding discussing ten topics, with a mix of questions submitted by both listeners and the pair themselves. The show opens with a summary of the format and listener emails sharing where they listen from before the show proper begins. As part of the rules of the show, the duo have to cover all 10 topics within 30 minutes and were not allowed to return to previous topics once they have rung the bell and moved on; nor could they go back and discuss anything mentioned outside of the half-hour, as it would rip the space-time continuum asunder. There are no rules for how long they can talk about each topic, but ALL ten have to be discussed within the 30 minute period. Each episode finishes with a comedic summary of what the pair have learned from each show.
- Key: if an episode number has a superscript number next to it, that is the audiobook volume containing that episode.
There is also a mini-series of Perfect Ones, used as tide-overs in hiatus periods. Some were originally featured as openers for the Audible releases.
The perfect ten drinking game is a game requiring listeners to drink at certain signals and events referred to during the podcast. The rules are as follows;
- Any mention of an ex-partner of Phil W - drain your glass
- Any mention of Phil W's colour blindness - take a sip
- Phill J mentions his "shitty pop quiz" - take a sip
- Any mention of a sexual act - drain your glass
- Any mention of Biffins Bridge - take a sip
- Anything vegetarian mentioned - drink half glass
- Angela Lansbury - drain your glass
- A full "'Ello, 'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Wallop!" - drain your glass
- Phill J does his comedy Welsh accent - half a glass
- Phil W's legendary vodka story that's never elaborated on - two sips
- Phill J hits the "goodnight" button accidentally - a shot
The game should be played only when the 30 minutes are going, however clearly rules are lax.