Phillip Lee (politician)
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Andrew MacKay|
28 September 1970 |
Taplow, Buckinghamshire, England
|Alma mater||King's College London
Keble College, Oxford
Imperial College London
Dr Phillip James Lee (born 28 September 1970) is a British Conservative Party politician. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Bracknell since winning the seat at the 2010 United Kingdom general election.
Early life and career
Phillip Lee was born in 1970, in Buckinghamshire, England. His great-grandfather was a coal miner in Gorseinon, whilst his grandfather served as a tail gunner in a Handley Page Halifax bomber during the Second World War. Lee's father runs a small business. Attending Sir William Borlase's Grammar School, Lee went on to study Human Biology and Biological Anthropology at King's College London and Keble College, Oxford, and then moved onto studying medicine at Imperial College London. After working at several hospitals, Lee qualified as a general practitioner (GP), and at the time of his selection to be the Conservative candidate for Bracknell he was a part-time GP working across the Thames Valley.
Joining the Conservative Party's organisation in Beaconsfield in 1992 - of which he would become deputy chairman after 2004 - Lee ran successfully for the local council in 2001. For the 2005 United Kingdom general election, he campaigned unsuccessfully as the party's candidate for Blaenau Gwent in south Wales, coming fifth. In May 2006, he was appointed as a priority national candidate - someone whom the Conservative Party wishes selected for a winnable seat. In 2009, he joined Maidenhead's local Conservative organisation, and on 17 October of that year, Lee was elected in an open primary from a seven-person shortlist - which included prominent Conservative blogger Iain Dale, and Rory Stewart - to be the party's candidate for Bracknell at the 2010 United Kingdom general election. Lee was a member of the A-List.
He then went on to win the seat with a majority of 15,704 votes.
- "Phillip Lee MP". BBC Democracy Live (BBC). Retrieved 25 July 2010.
- "LEE, Phillip James". Who's Who. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Dr Phillip Lee – Caring for Bracknell Constituency : Biography". Bracknell Conservative Association. 1 January 2010. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- Fort, Hugh (12 October 2009). "Tory hopefuls stress links to Bracknell Forest". Bracknell Forest Standard. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "ConservativeHome's Seats & Candidates blog: Where are the original A-Listers now? The 27 who are still looking for a seat". Conservativehome.blogs.com. 2009-04-23. Retrieved 2013-01-05.
- "Phillip Lee wins Bracknell General Election 2010". The Wokingham Times. 7 May 2010. Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- Phillip Lee MP official constituency website
- Phillip Lee MP Conservative Party profile
- Bracknell Conservatives
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Bracknell