|Born||March 12, 1958|
|Residence||Santa Monica, California, U.S.|
|Occupation||Chief executive officer
|Television||Survivor: Redemption Island
Phillip Sheppard (born March 12, 1958) is a United States Army veteran and the chief executive officer of a software company, who is best known for his appearances on the U.S. reality show Survivor. He is also the inspiration and persona in the 2013 novel The Specialist: The Costa Rica Job. The book became available on February 12 and features a James Bond-like former federal agent working a job in Costa Rica. As of April 2013, the book has sold well in Canada and in Japan. A follow-up book is also upcoming. Phillip Sheppard is the brother of Rochester, New York police chief James Sheppard. After being voted out of Survivor: Caramoan, he appeared on Survivor Live.
Survivor: Redemption Island
Sheppard was initially a contestant on Survivor: Redemption Island in 2011. He was a member of the Ometepe Tribe and had a record seventeen votes cast against him throughout the season (he now shares the distinction with Ozzy Lusth who later had seventeen votes cast against him during Survivor: South Pacific). He also received one jury vote at the final tribal council, which allowed him to achieve second place overall. He told TV Guide that he played with hope and suspected that he would get the jury vote from Ralph Kiser, which he did.
Sheppard was arguably best known for his bizarre behavior and erratic communication skills throughout the game. He continuously insisted that he was a former federal agent, but fellow participants such as former NFL player Steve Wright doubted Phillip’s claims. At the finale, Jeff Probst spoke to a woman in the audience who claimed to have known Sheppard from her federal agent training to confirm beyond doubt that Sheppard was in fact a federal agent.
Sheppard was a cast member on Survivor: Caramoan in 2013. The theme for this season was 10 new contestants (labeled "Fans") and 10 returning contestants (labeled "Favorites") facing off for the million dollar prize, a format previously used during Survivor: Micronesia. Being a returning player, Sheppard was cast as a ‘Favorite’ and was placed on the Bikal tribe. He was voted out on Day 28, and became the second member of the jury.
At the first tribal council he claimed that he didn't per se mispronounce Francesca's name during Redemption Island, instead he chose to on purpose rather than using expletives. He was one of six players who voted towards Francesca Hogi becoming the first ever contestant on an American reality competition show to be voted out first on two seasons. After being voted out, Hogi told Zap2it that Sheppard "is still a crazy person" stating that she doesn't "know where he came from or how he functions in the world. It's fascinating, actually."  By the end of the second episode, Sheppard had already begun putting into place his "BR rules" based on the gameplay of Survivor winner Rob Mariano and recruited a new Stealth R Us with code names for members of his alliance. However, Sheppard's Stealth R Us was one of a number of things that fellow contestant Brandon Hantz claimed to be frustrated about, and Hantz had the biggest meltdown in the show's history after a disagreement with Sheppard. Because of the conflict, an impromptu tribal council was held at the immunity challenge. Hantz voted against Sheppard, but Sheppard and the rest of the tribe voted Hantz out of the game.
The tribes were re-arranged a day later with castaways cracking eggs filled with either orange or purple paint. Sheppard's egg had purple paint so he remained on the Bikal Tribe. He had already put into effect "Operation Thunder Dome" which was a plan to eliminate contestant Corinne Kaplan. Sheppard's plan came through when Kaplan was voted out at the merged tribe's first tribal council. Phillip then adopted season "Fan" Sherri Biethman into Stealth R Us. Eventually, Phillip was so confident in his strategy, he did not compete in an immunity challenge, claiming it to be because of a childhood incident. In the tribal council immediately following, he was voted out when Malcolm, Eddie, and Reynold made survivor history by combining two hidden immunity idols with a challenge win to make all members of their alliance (dubbed "The Three Amigos") immune and targeted Sheppard. Sheppard voted for Cochran to be the sole Survivor, a unanimous decision by the jury.
- "'Survivor: Redemption Island:' Phillip says 'I played a brilliant ruse on everybody'; plans to be become an actor". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 20, 2013.
- Survivor Cast: Phillip - CBS.com Retrieved January 2013
- Phillip Sheppard Is “The Specialist” in New Book
- 'Survivor: Caramoan': Returning Favorite Phillip Sheppard promises 'something unique in my undergarments as well as my shoes'
- Phillip Sheppard on Being "The Specialist" and Survivor
- CBS Survivor’s Phillip Sheppard…is Back! - Reality Star Debuts New Book to Critical Praise
- Police Chief James Sheppard Interview on the Brother Wease Show
- The Caramoan Job (Show #10)
- Survivor Runner-Up Phillip: I Didn't Get the Respect I Earned Retrieved January 2013
- Survivor: Redemption Island Castoff Strikes Back at "Crazy" Phillip Retrieved January 2013
- 'Survivor: Redemption Island' Finale Answers the Question - is Phillip Sheppard Really a Former Federal Agent? Yahoo! Voices Retrieved January 2013
- Survivor: Caramoan - Episode 1 Recap
- 'Survivor: Caramoan -- Fans vs. Favorites' castaway Francesca Hogi voted out first -- again
- 'Survivor: Caramoan's' Francesca Hogi: Phillip is 'still a crazy person'
- ‘Survivor: Caramoan’ Episode Recap: The Eliminator or the Eliminated?
- 'Survivor: Caramoan': Brandon Hantz has the show's biggest meltdown ever
- 'Survivor' recap: Reshuffling the Deck
- InsideTV Podcast: Corinne from 'Survivor' compares Phillip to a handicapped child and calls him 'the living miscarriage' Retrieved April 2013
- ‘Survivor: Caramoan’ Episode Recap: Love, Caramoan Style
- Stephen Fishbach Blogs: How Survivor's 'Three Amigos' Took Out Their Boss
- Survivor: Caramoan Winner Revealed: John Cochran Wins $1 Million
- Phillip Sheppard on Twitter
- Official e-commrcere site for The Specialist Autograph Novel
- Official company website
- Official Survivor: Redemption Island bio at CBS.com
- Official Survivor: Caramoan bio at CBS.com