|No. 48 San Francisco 49ers|
|Date of birth:||August 8, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Dallas, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||208 lb (94 kg)|
|High school:||Dallas (TX) Kimball|
|College:||Middle Tennessee State|
Career NFL statistics as of 2013
|Stats at NFL.com|
Tanner signed with the Dallas Cowboys as an undrafted free agent in 2011. In August 21, 2011, Tanner and the Cowboys played against the San Diego Chargers at Cowboys Stadium where on the second half of the game Tanner lost his helmet and scored a touchdown. A new rule declined the touchdown saying that any player receiving, running, or intercepting carrying the ball and loses the helmet during the play, is where the ball will be played dead once the helmet has hit the field floor.
Tanner recorded his first NFL carry and touchdown on October 23, 2011 against the St. Louis Rams.
In February 2014, the Cowboys stated they would not offer Tanner a restricted free agent tender, which enabled him to hit the free agent market.
San Francisco 49ers
- Three former Blue Raiders land free-agent deals
- "Cowboys Corner: Cowboys' rookie FAs include six Texans". Sportsblogs.star-telegram.com. 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- "Three Blue Raiders ink NFL deals". GoBlueRaiders.com. Retrieved 2011-08-13.
- Yasinskas, Pat (18 August 2010). "Lose a helmet, lose a play". ESPN. Retrieved 25 August 2011.
- Archer, Todd (9 December 2011). "Cowboys put Phillip Tanner on IR". ESPN Dallas.
- "Cowboys give Sensabaugh 5-year extension". FOX News. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 9 December 2011.
- George, Brandon. "Source: Dallas Cowboys signing RB Phillip Tanner for Thursday’s preseason game". CowboysBlog. Retrieved 28 August 2014.
- Patra, Kevin. "Bills place C.J. Spiller on IR-recall, sign Phillip Tanner". NFL.com. Retrieved 22 October 2014.
- Staff, 49ers. "49ers Sign RB Phillip Tanner, Place TE Garrett Celek on IR". Retrieved 17 December 2014.