|Phish (The White Tape)|
|Studio album by Phish|
|Genre||Jam rock, experimental rock|
Phish Dry Goods
Phish (also known as The White Tape) is a self-produced album released by the American rock band Phish on cassette in 1986. Often cited as the first Phish "album", The White Tape was originally a collection of original material that the band used as a demo/sample tape for venues, and was sometimes labelled "Phish" or simply "Demo". The album was widely circulated among Phish fans for more than a decade before being officially released in 1998.
The album was created from four-track recordings over a period of three years and includes a number of outside musicians performing on various songs. Only "Alumni Blues", "AC/DC Bag", "Slave To The Traffic Light" and "Dog Gone Dog" (a.k.a. "Dog Log") have the four band members together. The remaining tracks were recorded separately by various members and blended together to create the finished album.
The White Tape includes an early version of the Phish epic "You Enjoy Myself", performed a cappella with the band members singing the opening guitar lines. The album also contains avant-garde experimental pieces, instrumental passages, electronic noises and studio trickery. Some songs were further developed and figure heavily in the band's live performances, while a few have rarely been heard since.
All instruments and vocals on "Fuck Your Face", "NO2", "He Ent to the Bog" and "Minkin" are performed solely by bass guitarist Mike Gordon. All instruments and vocals on "Run Like an Antelope" and "And So to Bed" are recorded solely by Trey Anastasio.
"The Divided Sky", "Ingest" and "Fluff's Travels" are performed by Anastasio, Phish lyricist Tom Marshall, and their friend Marc Daubert on percussion. "Aftermath" has Anastasio and Roger Holloway on guitar. "Slave to the Traffic Light" has Tom Marshall on keyboards and Pete Cottone on drums.
A limited edition white vinyl version was released at Superball IX, Phish's 2011 summer festival with the remainder offered up for sale as part of Record Store Day's "Black Friday" promotion on November 25th, 2011.
- "Alumni Blues" (Anastasio) - 4:11
- "And So to Bed" (Anastasio) - 4:43
- "You Enjoy Myself" (Anastasio) - 0:55
- "AC/DC Bag" (Anastasio) - 4:09
- "Fuck Your Face" (Gordon) - 2:15
- "The Divided Sky" (Anastasio) - 1:16
- "Slave to the Traffic Light" (Abrahams, Anastasio, Pollak) - 4:35
- "Aftermath" (Anastasio, Holloway) - 2:54
- "Ingest" (Anastasio) - 1:37
- "NO2" (Gordon) - 7:37
- "Fluff's Travels" (Anastasio) - 1:22
- "Dog Gone Dog" (Anastasio) - 4:03
- "He Ent to the Bog" (Gordon, McBride) - 3:56
- "Run Like an Antelope" (Anastasio, Marshall, Pollak) - 6:41
- "Minkin" (Gordon) - 2:59
- "Letter to Jimmy Page" (Anastasio) - 1:16
- Trey Anastasio - guitars, vocals
- Page McConnell - keyboards, vocals
- Mike Gordon - bass guitar, vocals
- Jon Fishman - drums, vocals
- Phish.com - Official Site
- Phish.com: The White Tape
- Phish.net: The White Tape - Includes details on cassette versions.
- Vinyl White Tape - Record Store Day