||It has been suggested that this article be merged with Phoebe (given name). (Discuss) Proposed since March 2013.|
Phoebe is a feminine name, a Latinized form of the Greek name Φοίβη (Phoibe), which meant "bright, pure" from Greek φοῖβος (phoibos).
In Greek mythology Phoibe was a Titan associated with the moon. This was also an epithet of her granddaughter Artemis. A moon of Saturn bears this name in honour of the Titan. This name also appears in the Paul's epistle to the Romans in the New Testament, where it belongs to a female minister in the church at Kechries.
Notable people with the given name Phoebe
- Phoebe Caulfield, younger sister of Holden Caulfield in The Catcher in the Rye, novel by J. D. Salinger
- Phoebe Buffay, a character on the television show Friends
- Phoebe Halliwell, a main character on the television show Charmed
- Phoebe Forrester, a former character for the CBS Soap Opera The Bold and the Beautiful
- The Groovy Girls doll line, by Manhattan Toy, features a doll named Phoebe.
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|