|Born||Phoebe Jane Elizabeth Tonkin
12 July 1989
Phoebe Jane Elizabeth Tonkin (born 12 July 1989) is an Australian actress and model. She is best known for portraying Cleo Sertori in H2O: Just Add Water, Fiona Maxwell in Tomorrow, When the War Began, Faye Chamberlain in The Secret Circle, and Hayley Marshall in The Vampire Diaries and its spin-off series The Originals.
Tonkin was born in Sydney. When she was four, she attended dance courses in classical ballet, hip hop, contemporary dance, and tap dance. At the age of 12, Tonkin began courses at the Australian Theatre for Young People (ATYP) at the Wharf Theatre. Tonkin attended Loreto Kirribilli and later graduated from the Queenwood School for Girls.
In December 2005, Tonkin was cast as the role of Cleo Sertori on the Australian children television series H2O: Just Add Water which follows the lives of three teenage girls who turn into mermaids. Tonkin improved on her swimming abilities during the pre-production of the series. The series premiered on 7 July 2006 on Network Ten and has since gone on to be aired to a worldwide audience of more than 250 million. To promote the series she and her co-stars presented the best band award at the Nickelodeon UK Kids' Choice Awards in October 2007. In 2008, Tonkin was nominated for "Best Lead Actress in a Television Series" at the prestigious Australian Film Institute Awards. The series ran for three seasons with the series finale airing on 16 April 2010.
Tonkin has also appeared on fellow Australian television shows Packed to the Rafters and Home and Away. In September 2010, Tonkin made her film debut starring in the Australian action ensemble film Tomorrow, When the War Began. In the film, which revolves around a group of teenagers waging a guerrilla war against an invading foreign power in their fictional hometown of Wirrawee, she played the role of the rich and uptight Fiona Maxwell. In December 2010, a sequel was announced with Tonkin expected to return.
In January 2011, Tonkin moved to Los Angeles to pursue an international acting career. She was cast in March 2011 as Faye Chamberlain on The CW supernatural drama series The Secret Circle which premiered on 15 September 2011 to over 3.5 million viewers. The series follows a group of young witches who are a part of a secret coven. Tonkin has received acclaim from critics being referred to as the breakout star of the series; she was featured on Variety 's list of "new faces to watch" and named one of 2011's breakout TV stars by E! Online. The Secret Circle, however, had only one full season as it was cancelled on 11 May 2012.
In August 2010, Tonkin was cast in the 3D horror film Bait 3D. Filming took place on Australia's Gold Coast and follows a group of strangers who are trapped in a supermarket after a freak tsunami with a pack of great white sharks. The film was expected to be released in Australia in September 2012. In August 2012, Tonkin joined the cast of The CW television series, The Vampire Diaries, in the recurring role of Hayley, a friend of Tyler. She joined her co-star from H2O: Just Add Water, Claire Holt, who portrays Rebekah Mikaelson on the show.
On 11 January 2013, The CW confirmed that a spin-off series to The Vampire Diaries was in the works, titled The Originals. The series will revolve around the Original Vampire family members, and Tonkin will "be heavily featured in the prospective pilot" of the upcoming series. The CW confirmed on 13 February that Claire Holt would also join The Originals, marking the third time Tonkin and Holt have starred together on a show.
Tonkin has appeared in a number of advertisements which include Vauxhall Motors and was previously signed to Chic Management. Her modelling career includes shoots for Girlfriend, Teen Vogue, ELLE Australia, Miss Vogue Australia and Dolly. Tonkin has also appeared in Miles Fisher's music video "Don't Let Go". In 2012 Tonkin opened a website about health with friend Teresa Palmer called YourZenLife.
|2010||Tomorrow, When the War Began||Fiona Maxwell||Feature film|
|2012||Bait 3D||Jaime||Feature film|
|2014||The Ever After||Finished|
|2015||Take Down||Amy Tilton||Finished|
|2006–2010||H2O: Just Add Water||Cleo Sertori||Lead role: 78 episodes|
|2009–2010||Packed to the Rafters||Lexi||Recurring role: 3 episodes|
|2010||Home and Away||Adrian Hall||Recurring role: 7 episodes|
|2011–2012||The Secret Circle||Faye Chamberlain||Lead role: 22 episodes|
|2012–2013||The Vampire Diaries||Hayley Marshall||Recurring role|
|2013–present||The Originals||Main cast|
|2015||Stalker||Nicole Clark||Guest role S01E14|
|2012||Miles Fisher||"Don't Let Go"||Female lead|
Awards and nominations
|2008||AFI Awards||Best Lead Actress in Television Drama||H2O: Just Add Water||Nominated|
- "Meet the stars: Phoebe Tonkin as 'Cleo'". ZDF-Enterprises.de. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "H2O Cast: Phoebe Tonkin as Cleo". Jonathan-m-shiff.com. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- "L'Oréal Paris 2008 AFI Awards Nominees". Australian Film Institute. 2008. Retrieved 29 August 2014.
- "Away From the Bay". Yahoo!7. 10 August 2010. Retrieved 10 August 2010.
- Staff (28 February 2011). "High hopes for Tomorrow sequel in Australia". Herald Sun. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- Moran, Jonathon (19 June 2011). "Phoebe Tonkin's prime time gig on new TV series The Secret Circle". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- Bricker, Tierney (15 March 2011). "'The Secret Circle' finds its Faye: Phoebe Tonkin". Zap2it. Retrieved 10 May 2012.
- Andreeva, Nellie (19 May 2011). "CW Announces 2011-2012 Primetime Sked: 'Ringer' Joins Lineup, 'OTH' To End Run". Deadline.com. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Kenneally, Tim (21 July 2011). "'Alcatraz,' 'Person of Interest' bow at Comic-Con". Reuters. Retrieved 29 July 2011.
- Malcom, Shawna (9 September 2011). "Tonkin no fish out of water on CW's 'Secret Circle'". Variety. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- Bricker, Tierney (29 December 2011). "2011 Breakout TV Stars: The Secret Circle 's Phoebe Tonkin Bares All (Thanks in Part to a Necklace Shirt)". E!. Retrieved 2 January 2012.
- West, Kelly (11 May 2012). "The CW Cancels Ringer And Secret Circle, Orders Five Dramas Including Arrow And Carrie Diaries". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 12 May 2012.
- "Bait (2011) Movie Trailer, Poster: Sharni Vinson, Julian McMahon". Film-book.com. 9 June 2011. Retrieved 4 December 2011.
- Bricker, Tierney (7 August 2012). "Vampire Diaries Scoop: The Secret Circle 's Phoebe Tonkin Joins the Show". E!. Retrieved 11 August 2012.
- Bricker, Tierney (11 January 2013). "The Vampire Diaries Spinoff The Originals, Starring Joseph Morgan, in the Works". E!. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- Goldberg, Lesley (13 February 2013). "'Vampire Diaries' Spinoff 'The Originals' Adds Claire Holt". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Phoebe Tonkin in Miles Fisher's Video "Don't Let Go"". CrowHavenRoad.org. Retrieved 31 December 2011.
- Yamato, Jen (22 January 2015). "Teresa Palmer, Mark Webber Star In Self-Distributed ‘The Ever After’ – Trailer". Deadline.com. Retrieved 23 January 2015.
- Vrajlal, Alicia (16 June 2014). "It's all good in the hood! Phoebe Tonkin dresses down in casual grey threads as she films her new thriller Take Down". Daily Mail. Retrieved 30 June 2014.
- Bucksbaum, Sydney (10 December 2014). "Stalker Is Staging a Dawson's Creek Reunion!". E!. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Phoebe Tonkin.|
- Phoebe Tonkin at the Internet Movie Database
- Phoebe Tonkin at Australiantelevision.net
- Yourzenlife.com, site operated with Teresa Palmer