|National origin||United States|
|Status||Production completed (2013)|
|Number built||at least one|
US$24,995 (assembled, 2011)
The Phoenix Skyblazer is an American helicopter that was designed by the Nolan brothers and produced by Phoenix Rotorcraft of Fallston, Maryland and more recently Louisburg, North Carolina. When it was available the aircraft was supplied as a complete ready-to-fly-aircraft.
Design and development
The Skyblazer features two coaxial, counter-rotating main rotors, a single-seat open cockpit without a windshield, skid-type landing gear and a two twin cylinder, air-cooled, two-stroke, dual-ignition 50 hp (37 kW) Rotax 503 engines for redundancy. The two engines were provided due to the aircraft lacking collective pitch control, thus precluding an autorotation in the event of a power loss. The aircraft can reportedly hover on one engine.
The aircraft fuselage is made from welded steel tubing. Its dual two-bladed rotors have diameters of 14.5 ft (4.4 m) and incorporate dual flapping hinges. Directional control is achieved by tilting the rotor mast. The aircraft has an empty weight of 500 lb (227 kg) and a gross weight of 850 lb (386 kg), giving a useful load of 350 kg (772 lb). With full fuel of 26 U.S. gallons (98 L; 22 imp gal) the payload is 194 lb (88 kg).
Data from Bayerl
- Crew: one
- Empty weight: 500 lb (227 kg)
- Gross weight: 850 lb (386 kg)
- Fuel capacity: Two 13 U.S. gallons (49 L; 11 imp gal) tanks
- Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 503 twin cylinder, air-cooled, two stroke aircraft engine, 50 hp (37 kW)
- Main rotor diameter: 2× 14.5 ft (4.4 m)
- Maximum speed: 95 mph; 83 kn (153 km/h)
- Cruising speed: 70 mph; 61 kn (113 km/h)
- Rate of climb: 890 ft/min (4.5 m/s)
- Bayerl, Robby; Martin Berkemeier; et al: World Directory of Leisure Aviation 2011-12, page 193. WDLA UK, Lancaster UK, 2011. ISSN 1368-485X
- Phoenix Rotorcraft (undated). "Phoenix-Rotorcraft, LLC". Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Federal Aviation Administration (6 February 2013). "Make / Model Inquiry Results". Retrieved 6 February 2013.