|Classification and external resources|
It may affect humans as well as other mammals (especially dogs). In humans it is the least common type of glycogen storage disease. It was named after the Japanese Physician, Seiichiro Tarui (1927- ).
In this condition, a deficiency of the M subunit (PFKM) of the phosphofructokinase enzyme impairs the ability of cells such as erythrocytes and rhabdomyocytes (skeletal muscle cells) to use carbohydrates (such as glucose) for energy.
The mutation impairs the ability of phosphofructokinase to phosphorylate fructose-6-phosphate prior to its cleavage into glyceraldehyde-3-phosphate which enters the energy generation phase of glycolysis, effectively limiting energy production.
The disease presents with exercise-induced muscle cramps and weakness (sometimes rhabdomyolysis), myoglobinuria, as well as with haemolytic anaemia causing dark urine a few hours later. Hyperuricemia is common. Phosphofructokinase deficiency also presents in a rare infantile form. The infantile form causes severe myopathy and leads to death in infancy or early childhood.
A diagnosis can be made through a muscle biopsy that shows excess glycogen and then further tests that will show the levels of phosphofructokinase enzyme.
- synd/3022 at Who Named It?
- Tarui S, OKuno G, Ikura Y, Tanaka T, Suda M, Nishikawa M (1965). "Phosphofructokinase Deficiency In Skeletal Muscle. A New Type Of Glycogenosis". Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 19 (4): 517–23. doi:10.1016/0006-291X(65)90156-7. PMID 14339001.
- Stedman, H.; Stedman, H; Rajpurohit, Y; Henthorn, PS; Wolfe, JH; Patterson, DF; Giger, U (1996). "Molecular Basis of Canine Muscle Type Phosphofructokinase Deficiency". Journal of Biological Chemistry 271 (33): 20070–4. doi:10.1074/jbc.271.33.20070. PMID 8702726.
- Nakajima H, Raben N, Hamaguchi T, Yamasaki T (2002). "Phosphofructokinase deficiency; past, present and future". Curr. Mol. Med. 2 (2): 197–212. doi:10.2174/1566524024605734. PMID 11949936.
- Toscano A, Musumeci O (October 2007). "Tarui disease and distal glycogenoses: clinical and genetic update". Acta Myol 26 (2): 105–7. PMC 2949577. PMID 18421897.
- Glycogen storage disease type 7; Muscle phosphofructokinase deficiency; Tarui disease at NIH's Office of Rare Diseases
- Asociación Española de Enfermos de Glucogenosis