|Type of site||Science News|
|Owner||Omicron Technology Ltd|
|Created by||Staff writers|
|Launched||March 26, 2004|
Phys.org is a science, research and technology news website specializing in the hard science subjects of physics, space and earth science, biology, chemistry, electronics, nanotechnology and technology in general. It is known[weasel words] for timely updates of scientific breakthroughs and press releases from major research labs and universities across the world. The site also publishes daily reports, blogs and exclusive comprehensive articles on new peer-reviewed scientific papers. It also runs the website MedicalxPress, which features medical news stories.
The site was founded in March, 2004, by two Ph.D. students who wanted a science news service for informed and educated readers. In 2005 it was purchased by UK-based Omicron Technologies. Phys.org is registered as the property of Omicron Technology Limited of Douglas, Isle Of Man, in Great Britain.
In 2008, it published 75-100 news stories per day and hosted about 100,000 daily readers. It had 25,000 registered members.
In 2009, Quantcast listed it as a top 1,800 site with 880,000+ U.S. people visiting per month and this being 57% of all visitors. It said the site is popular among a more educated, older, male audience. Trends Updates named PhysOrg amongst the Top 25 Technology Blogs for 2008.
In April 2012, Phys.org moved to its current domain, phys.org.
- Phys.org's Reports Accessed January 2012
- Phys.org's Features Accessed January 2012
- "About PhysOrg.com". help/about-us. Physorg. 2010. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- Whois Record for Phys.org.com Accessed July 2008
- "At PhysOrg.com Science News Website, Users Determine Site Organization". Nanotechnology Now. 7th Wave, Inc. July 19, 2008. Retrieved 26 March 2010.
- Quantcast review of Phys.org website at November 2012. Accessed November 2012.
- Trends Updates Top 25 Technology Blogs for 2008 Accessed January 2009.