Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

The Physician Assistant National Certifying Exam (PANCE) and Physician Assistant National Recertifying Exam (PANRE) are exams that must be taken by all physician assistants (PAs). Both tests are given by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants. The exams are computerized and consist of practical medical and surgical questions.

PANCE[edit]

The PANCE includes 300 questions[1] and must be taken before a PA can be licensed for the first time upon graduation from an accredited program. The five-hour PANCE exam includes 300 multiple-choice questions administered in five blocks of 60 questions with 60 minutes to complete each block. There is a total of 45 minutes allotted for breaks between blocks and you will be responsible for managing your break time. You will have 15 minutes to complete the PANCE tutorial. Using a review program such as the HELP PANCE PANRE can greatly increase your chances of passing.

PANRE[edit]

The four-hour PANRE exam includes 240 multiple-choice questions administered in four blocks of 60 questions with 60 minutes to complete each block. There is a total of 45 minutes allotted for breaks between blocks and you will be responsible for managing your break time. You will have 15 minutes to complete the PANRE tutorial. The PANRE must be taken by all PAs every 10 years to continue to practice as a PA. This was originally every 6 years but was recently changed. The PANRE can be retaken if failed, but there is a 90-day waiting period[2] between tests and it can only be taken twice in one year. Using a review program such as the HELP PANCE PANRE can greatly increase your chances of passing.

The PANRE allows for choices. While 60% of the generalist exam will cover the same content as always, the remaining 40% can be directed towards more generalist questions in one of three areas:

  • Adult medicine
  • Surgery
  • Primary care

This option gives PAs the opportunity to focus more of the exam on their general area of practice--or continue with "business as usual" by choosing the "primary care" option.

See also[edit]

The PANRE includes 240 questions as of 2011

References[edit]

  1. ^ "PANCE". NCCPA. Retrieved 2013-04-21. 
  2. ^ "PANRE | PANRE Test PANRE Test Preparation". NCCPA. Retrieved 2013-04-21. 

"http://www.panrequestions.com/"