|Picardan in Viala & Vermorel|
|Color of berry skin||Blanc|
|Also called||Araignan, Oeillade blanche, Picardan blanc|
|Notable regions||Southern Rhône|
|Notable wines||Châteauneuf-du-Pape AOC|
Picardan or Picardan blanc is a white wine grape which is one of 13 permitted blending grape within the Châteauneuf-du-Pape AOC in Rhône wine region in France, altohough very little planted. The Vitis International Variety Catalogue previously listed Oeillade blanche as the primary name of the variety, but now identifies Araignan as the primary name. However, since the variety is practically unknown for any other use than the Châteauneuf-du-Pape blend, it most commonly goes under the name used for it in that appellation.
Picardan gives a wine which considered to be light and rather neutral in character.
Picardan is also the name of a historical white wine from Languedoc, usually sweetish in character, traded in the late 17th and 18th centuries. It is supposed to have been produced from the varieties Clairette blanche and Piquepoul blanc.
Synonyms and relationship to other grapes
Synonyms include: Aragnan, Aragnan blanc, Araignan, Araignan blanc, Gallet, Gallet blanc, Grosse Clairette, Milhaud blanc, Oeillade blanche, Papadoux, Picardan, Picardan blanc, Piquardan, Piquardant.
Picardan (but not Picardan blanc) is also a synonym for the white grape variety Bourboulenc, which is also found in Châteauneuf-du-Pape, and the dark-skinned variety Bouchales. Picardan noir is a synonym for Cinsaut and Bouchales.
- Jancis Robinson, ed. (2006). "Châteauneuf-du-Pape". Oxford Companion to Wine (Third Edition ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 160. ISBN 0-19-860990-6.
- Jancis Robinson, ed. (2006). "Picardan". Oxford Companion to Wine (Third Edition ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 524. ISBN 0-19-860990-6.
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue: Oeillade blanche, accessed on May 5, 2008
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue: Araginan, accessed on June 7, 2010
- Wein-Plus Glossar: Picardan accessed on January 24, 2013
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue: Bourboulenc, accessed on May 5, 2008
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue: Bouchales, accessed on May 5, 2008
- Vitis International Variety Catalogue: Cinsaut, accessed on May 5, 2008
- J. Robinson, J. Harding and J. Vouillamoz Wine Grapes - A complete guide to 1,368 vine varieties, including their origins and flavours pg 743, Allen Lane 2012 ISBN 978-1-846-14446-2