Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)
|"Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)"|
|Song by Paul McCartney & Wings from the album Band on the Run|
|Released||7 December 1973|
|Writer||Paul and Linda McCartney|
|Producer||Paul McCartney and Geoff Emerick|
|Band on the Run track listing|
"Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)" is a song from Paul McCartney & Wings' album Band on the Run. It was not released as a single. Wings band member Denny Laine covered "Picasso's Last Words (Drink to Me)" in 2007 on his album Performs the Hits of Wings. An abbreviated performance of the song appears on the live album Wings over America.
In an interview on British TV channel ITV1 for the program Wings: Band on the Run, to promote the November 2010 2xCD/2xDVD rerelease of the original album, McCartney says he was on vacation in Montego Bay, Jamaica where he "snuck" onto the set of the film Papillon where he met "Dustin Hoffman and Steve McQueen". After a dinner with Hoffman, with McCartney playing around on guitar, Hoffman did not believe that McCartney could write a song "about anything", so Hoffman pulled out a magazine where they saw the story of the death of Pablo Picasso and his famous last words, "Drink to me, drink to my health. You know I can't drink anymore." McCartney created a demo of the song and lyrics on the spot, prompting Hoffman to exclaim to his wife: "…look, he's doing it…he's doing it!"
While recording Band on the Run in Lagos, Nigeria, Wings were invited to former Cream drummer Ginger Baker's ARC Studios in the nearby suburb of Ikeja. While Baker insisted to McCartney that they should record the entire album there, he was reluctant and agreed he would spend one day there. "Picasso's Last Words" was recorded during that time and Baker contributed by playing a tin can full of gravel.
- Paul McCartney - lead vocals, guitar, bass guitar, drums
- Linda McCartney - backing vocals
- Denny Laine - lead vocals, guitar
- Ginger Baker - percussion
- "Performs the Hits of Wings". Allmusic. Retrieved 28 December 2011.
- Presenters: Dermot O'Leary (2010-10-31). "Wings: Band on the Run". ITV. ITV1. http://www.itv.com/presscentre/paulmccartneyandwingsbandontherun/week44/default.html.
- Lewisohn, Mark "Band on the Run - 25th Anniversary Edition; The Recording of Band on the Run" Parlophone (4 99176 2).