A pick-up line or chat-up line is a conversation opener with the intent of engaging an unfamiliar person for romance or dating. Overt and sometimes humorous displays of romantic interest, pick-up lines advertise the wit of their speakers to their target listeners. We're gonna have sex tonight wanna know why? I'm stronger than you. They are most commonly used by men who pick up women.
Pick-up lines range from straightforward conversation openers such as introducing oneself, providing information about oneself, or asking someone about their likes and common interests, to more elaborate attempts including flattery or humor.
- Kuriansky, Judith (2003). "The complete idiot's guide to dating". p. 118. ISBN 1-59257-153-0.
- Eric Berne, Games People Play (1964) p. 155-6
- Eric Berne, Sex in Human Loving (1970) p. 238
- Macrae, Fiona (2010-09-17). "Forget the cheesy chat-up lines – just say 'Hello' if you want to be a success with the opposite sex". The Daily Mail. Retrieved 2010-09-20.
- J. Browne, Dating for Dummies (2011) p. 86
- J. Sidnell, Conversation Analysis (2011) p. 14
Ovid, The Art of Love (1957)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Pick-up lines|