Pickaway County, Ohio
|Parts of this article (those related to Government) are outdated. (September 2013)|
|Pickaway County, Ohio|
Pickaway County Courthouse
Location in the state of Ohio
Ohio's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1810|
|• Total||507 sq mi (1,313 km2)|
|• Land||501 sq mi (1,298 km2)|
|• Water||5.2 sq mi (13 km2), 1.0%|
|• Density||111/sq mi (43/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Pickaway County is a county located in the U.S. state of Ohio. As of the 2010 census, the population was 55,698. Its county seat is Circleville. Its name derives from the Pekowi band of Shawnee Indians, who inhabited the area. (See List of Ohio county name etymologies.)
- 1 Geography
- 2 Demographics
- 3 Economy
- 4 Government
- 5 Education
- 6 Communities
- 7 Notable residents
- 8 See also
- 9 References
- 10 External links
- Franklin County (north)
- Fairfield County (east)
- Hocking County (southeast)
- Ross County (south)
- Fayette County (southwest)
- Madison County (northwest)
As of the census of 2000, there were 52,727 people, 17,599 households, and 13,287 families residing in the county. The population density was 105 people per square mile (41/km²). There were 18,596 housing units at an average density of 37 per square mile (14/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 91.95% White, 6.43% Black or African American, 0.28% Native American, 0.22% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.15% from other races, and 0.93% from two or more races. 0.63% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 17,599 households out of which 35.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 61.50% were married couples living together, 9.80% had a female householder with no husband present, and 24.50% were non-families. 20.60% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.10% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.02.
In the county, the population was spread out with 24.30% under the age of 18, 9.00% from 18 to 24, 32.60% from 25 to 44, 23.40% from 45 to 64, and 10.80% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 122.20 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 125.00 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $42,832, and the median income for a family was $49,259. Males had a median income of $36,265 versus $26,086 for females. The per capita income for the county was $17,478. About 7.60% of families and 9.50% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.40% of those under age 18 and 7.00% of those age 65 or over.
Manufacturing makes up a significant proportion of area industry and employment; in the 2010 census, 3075 county residents (13.4%) were employed in manufacturing. Circleville is home to the largest DuPont chemical plant in Ohio. Opened in the 1950s, it produces Mylar and Tedlar plastic films, the latter used extensively in the production of photovoltaic modules. A GE Lighting plant, recently expanded to produce energy-efficient compact fluorescent lamps, opened in 1948 and currently employs more than 200 people. Other manufacturing concerns in Circleville or surrounding Pickaway County include Aleris, a producer of rolled and extruded aluminum products, and Florida Production Engineering, Inc. (FPE), producing plastic injection molded components for the automotive industry. The former Jefferson-Smurfit paper mill, a 300 acre site, is being redeveloped. Georgia-Pacific, a manufacturer of paperboard containers and other paper products, has a plant located south of town. The PPG Industries Circleville plant is the company's center for polymer resin production, primarily for automotive applications.
Teays Valley Local School District
Teays Valley is in the northern part of the county. Schools in this district include:
- Teays Valley High School
- Teays Valley East Middle School
- Teays Valley West Middle School
- Ashville Elementary
- Walnut Elementary
- Scioto Elementary
- South Bloomfield Elementary
Teays Valley has the largest number of students in the county.
Circleville City Schools
- Circleville High School
- Everts Middle School
- Circleville Elementary
A new middle school is currently under construction to replace Everts Middle School.
Logan Elm Local Schools
Logan Elm consists of the area in Southeastern Pickaway County.
- Logan Elm High School
- McDowell Exchange School
- Washington Elementary
- Laurelville Elementary
- Saltcreek Elementary
- Pickaway Elementary
Westfall Local Schools
Westfall lies in the Western part of the county.
- Westfall High School
- Westfall Middle School
- Westfall Elementary
Pickaway-Ross Career & Technology Center
Pickaway-Ross lies just below the county line in Ross County. Students from the following affiliated Pickaway and Ross county districts at the vocational school.
- Circleville City School District (Pickaway County)
- Logan Elm Local School District (Pickaway County)
- Westfall Local School District (Pickaway County)
- Adena Local School District (Ross County)
- Chillicothe City School District (Ross County)
- Huntington Local School District (Ross County)
- Paint Valley Local School District (Ross County)
- Southeastern Local School District (Ross County)
- Unioto Local School District (Ross County)
- Zane Trace Local School District (Ross County)
- Circleville (county seat)
- Dorothy Adkins (1912 - 1975), psychologist, grew up in Atlanta, Pickaway County
- "Ohio County Profiles: Pickaway County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- "State & County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "2010 Census Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. August 22, 2012. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Historical Census Browser". University of Virginia Library. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- Forstall, Richard L., ed. (March 27, 1995). "Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "Census 2000 PHC-T-4. Ranking Tables for Counties: 1990 and 2000". United States Census Bureau. April 2, 2001. Retrieved February 10, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Demographics and Income plus other local statistics for Pickaway County P3 Ohio". Pickawayprogress.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:57 pm (2012-05-22). "DuPont celebrates Tedlar expansion - Circleville Herald: News". Circlevilletoday.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "News & Events for Pickaway Progress Business Development Project Central Ohio". Pickawayprogress.com. 2010-01-18. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:00 pm (2013-08-22). "GE plant to add 50 jobs - Circleville Herald: News". Circlevilletoday.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Plastic Injection Molding from 100 tons to 3000 tons in Florida, Kentucky and Ohio". Fpe-inc.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Projects - Green Investment Group, Inc". Greeninvgroup.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- "Circleville, OH - Life At PPG - College Recruiting". Ppg.com. Retrieved 2013-09-22.
- Official website
- Pickaway Chamber of Commerce and visitor info
- Pickaway County Local Government Links
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pickaway County, Ohio.|
||Madison County||Franklin County|
|Fayette County||Ross County||Hocking County|