Pickles (comic strip)
Pickles is a daily and Sunday comic strip by Brian Crane focusing on a retired couple in their seventies, Earl and Opal Pickles. Inspired by Crane's in-laws, the strip describes their efforts to enjoy retirement, which instead proves quite imperfect for both.
Earl is characterized as having a bald head, glasses, and a bushy white mustache, and wears suspenders. Opal is characterized as somewhat chubby, bespectacled, and is often seen wearing purple polka-dotted dresses and white sneakers. When sitting, she is usually seen with her pet cat in her lap. Both characters were drawn with their eye pupils visible through their glasses during the strip's early years, but their glasses were later whitened so that they are opaque to readers.
The comic is set in Crane's hometown of Sparks, Nevada. The cast includes their dog Roscoe and their cat Muffin; their grandson Nelson Wolfe and his parents– their daughter Sylvia and her husband Dan, a wildlife photographer.
- Wadley, Carma (February 20, 2011). "A cartoon family: Popular 'Pickles' captures humanity of humans". Deseret News. Retrieved February 22, 2011.
- "Brian Crane". The Washington Post Writers Group. Archived from the original on 7 April 2005. Retrieved 17 August 2005.
- "THE ART OF MAKING PICKLES". BYU Magazine. Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "NCS Awards: Newspaper business strips". National Cartoonists Society. Retrieved 17 August 2005.
- "National Cartoonist Society announces Reuben, divisional awards" by JK Parkin, Comic Book Resources. May 26, 2013. Accessed September 4, 2013.
|This comic strip–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|