Piedmont Hills High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012)|
|Piedmont Hills High School|
|San Jose, California
|Enrollment||2200 (14–15 school year)|
|Color(s)||Maroon, White, Black|
|Mascot||Petey the Pirate|
Piedmont Hills High School is a comprehensive public four-year high school located in the Berryessa neighborhood of San Jose, California, USA. It is part of the East Side Union High School District and is the second highest performing school in the district, based on California's Academic Performance Index. It is currently[when?] a California Distinguished School and has received various awards in several aspects of its curriculum. Together with Independence High School and Yerba Buena High School, Piedmont Hills is one of a few schools in the district to have its own music program.
The school began operation in 1965, under founding principal Gerald R. Bocciardi.
- In 2008, lockers were removed due to vandalism, theft, and safety issues.
- In 2010, the Pirates won the 2010 CCS Division I Championship for football, the first in the school's history.
- In 2011, the school's cheerleaders were required to wear sweatpants under their cheerleader skirts while attending classes; the principal considers the miniskirts "too risque" though the rule does not appear during games.
- In 2012, the school's concert choir received a Unanimous Superior at the CMEA Festival, the first in the school's history.
- In 2012, the school's vocal jazz group, the "Treblemakers", competed in and won the vocal jazz portion of Northern California Jazz Festival for a second consecutive time.
- In 2012, the girls' track & field team was the #1 CCS champion.
- In 2013, the Piedmont Hills Drama Department production of "Hairspray" won Best Ensemble at the Stage's Top Honor Awards.
- In 2014, the Treblemakers competed in the Santa Cruz Jazz Festival and won a Commanding Performance rating.
- In 2014, concert choir received a Unanimous Superior from CMEA, held at Silver Creek High School.
- On March 20, 2015, a dead middle-aged man was found at the bottom of the diving pool.
- Ato Boldon, Olympic Track Medalist & World Champion
- Melissa (Nichols) Dyrdahl, co-founder and CEO of Bring Light, former Senior VP of Adobe Systems Incorporated
- Anna Maria Perez de Tagle, American actress best known for her work on Hannah Montana and Camp Rock
- Jerry Yang, co-founder of Yahoo!
- Ronald Weitzer, Professor of Sociology at George Washington University, criminologist, 1988–present
- J.T. Nishimura, United States Tennis Association ranked tennis player
- Julia McClenon, United States diplomat
- Steve Papin, American football player
- Piedmont Hills High School Profile 2014-15 from the East Side Union High School District website[dated info]
- "2010 CCS FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIPS- DIVISION I" (PDF). CIF CCS. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- California Principal Says Cheerleading Miniskirts Too Risque, a September 13, 2011 Associated Press article
- Rubin, Ann (March 20, 2015). "Body found in San Jose high school swimming pool". KTVU. Retrieved March 21, 2015.
- http://www.prepcaltrack.com/ATHLETICS/TRACK/stateres.htm see 200m 1991
- "Jerry Yang - Piedmont Hills Class of 1986 – Inducted in 2003". East Side Union High School District Education Foundation. 2003. Retrieved January 4, 2014.
- "J.T. Nishimura's Profile". United States Tennis Association. Retrieved June 1, 2014.
- "Presidential Nominations - 112th Congress - Nominated 2012".