Pier Gonella playing live on 2012
|Birth name||Pierangelo Gonella|
|Genres||Neo-classical metal, hard rock, heavy metal, instrumental rock|
|Occupations||Musician, songwriter, producer, guitar instructor|
|Years active||2001 - present|
|Associated acts||Mastercastle, Labyrinth, Necrodeath,|
Pier Gonella began playing guitar at the age of 15, following his passion for such bands as Scorpions and Deep Purple. From 1993 to 1997 he studied jazz guitar in many Italian schools and, at the same time (not finding any rock guitar teachers), he studied it by himself. In particular he studied scores of many of his guitar heroes such as Yngwie Malmsteen, Joe Satriani, Vinnie Moore, Joey Tafolla and many others. He studied music theory and, in June of 1998, received the diploma of "Teoria and Solfeggio" at the Conservatory of Music "Nicolo' Paganini" of Genoa, where the same year enrolls and studies 4 years of basson.
From 2003 to 2008 he played with the power metal band Labyrinth in many Italian and European festivals (such as Gods Of Metal, Metalway) and, in 2005, made a 6 "gig" tour in Japan, China and Taiwan. During the tour he recorded the DVD Live in Tokyo that was included at the album Freeman, released on 2006. In March 2007 he release with Labyrinth the album “6 Days to Nowhere”, and, in the same year, toured Japan again.
He joined the band Necrodeath for the first time in 2006 as a guest guitarist. In the same year the band made a 20 gig European tour supporting the band Marduk and, in 2007, Pier recorded the guitars work on the album Draculea. He left the band because he was busy with his other bands. He definitively re-joined Necrodeath in 2008. He recorded the albums Phylogenesis in 2009, Old Skull in 2010, The age of Fear in 2011 and Idiosyncrasy in 2012. All albums were followed by a European tour. He is still playing with this band.
In 2008 Labyrinth decided to take a break. During that time Pier started a collaboration with the singer Giorgia Gueglio. They wrote many songs and sent a demo to the label Lion Music which offered them a deal. In the meantime bass player Steve Vawamas and the drum player Alessandro Bissa joined the band. They chose the name Mastercastle and released the album The Phoenix in April 2009. The album was well reviewed especially in the USA and the band continued composing music. In June 2010 they released the album Last Desire and, in 2011, the album Dangerous Diamonds.
In 2012 the band had a split with the drummer "Bix". In 2013 Gonella announced the signing of a new drummer John Macaluso (Yngwie Malmsteen, James Labrie, Ark,Tnt...). In the same year the band released the album On Fire (produced by Pier Gonella and mixed together with John Macaluso. Pier Gonella is still playing in this band.
In 2001 he recorded the guitars for the album Athlantis and in 2003 he recorded the guitar and bass part for the album Wild Steel. Both were published under the label Underground Symphony. In April 2005 during his militance in Labyrinth, he published his solo album Odyssea - Tears in floods, released under the label Scarlet Records (Europe) and King Records (Japan).
In the summer of 2008 Gonella was chosen as second guitar player by Timo Tolkki (Stratovarius, Revolution Renaissance) for two Italian gigs.
In 1998 Gonella started teaching guitar lessons, working in many private schools and creating guitar clinics in the north of Italy. In 2007 he founded a recording studio for the production of his bands and for his guitar school. In 2011, it was officially opened to all with the name of MusicArt.
Since 2012 Gonella has collaborated with the drummer John Macaluso for guitar and drum clinics called "Rock and Heavy Essentials" 
- 2001: Athlantis (with the band Athlantis)
- 2003: Wild Steel (with the band Wild Steel)
- 2004: Tears in floods (with the band Odyssea)
- 2005: Freeman (with the band Labyrinth)
- 2007: Draculea (with the band Necrodeath)
- 2007: 6 days to nowhere (with the band Labyrinth)
- 2008: Amazing Maze (with the band Amazing Maze)
- 2009: Phylogenesis (with the band Necrodeath)
- 2009: The Phoenix (with the band Mastercastle)
- 2010: Old Skul (with the band Necrodeath)
- 2010: Last Desire (with the band Mastercastle)
- 2011: As Time Goes By... (with the band Labyrinth)
- 2011: The Age of Fear (with the band Necrodeath)
- 2011: Idiosyncrasy (with the band Necrodeath)
- 2011: Dangerous Diamonds (with the band Mastercastle)
- 2012: Athlantis - M.W.N.D. (with the band Athlantis)
- 2012: The Black Side of the Moon (with the band MusicArt Project)
- 2013: Hellive (with the band Necrodeath)
- 2013: On Fire (with the band Mastercastle)
Since 2008 Gonella collaborates with the Italian videogames factory called ‘’Xplored’’. To date Gonella has made soundtracks and sample effects for over 150 flash games.
- Zombie in the shadow
- Zombies in the Shadow-The savuoir
- Toxie Radd
- Toxie Radd2
- Toxie Radd 3d
- Dark Base2-THE HIVE
- Dark Base3-Phoenix Team
- Toys Vs Nightmares
- Dark Base-alien Rts
- Duo Blaster
- Red Jet Rabbit
- Zits-20 to die
- Chili’Em All
- Drow’s Fury
- Dark Base Defence
- Motel Connection
- Troll revenge
- Season of War
- Methus'Tower Defence
- Secure Mc
- Future Buggy
- "Mastercastle will release his debut album on 17 April 2009". BlabbermouthNews.net. Retrieved 2010-07-01.
- "Mastercastle new drummer and new album". Bravewords.com. Retrieved 2013-07-01.
- Pier Gonella official site Biography
- MusicArt official site
- "Rock and Heavy Essentials". piergonella.com. Retrieved 2013-07-07.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pier Gonella.|
- A recent Pier Gonella interview
- Pier Gonella Official Website
- Necrodeath Official Website
- Mastercastle Official Website