|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2013)|
|Field||Science, music, arts, history, informatics|
Piero Scaruffi (born in Trivero, Italy, in 1955) is a scientist, writer, music critic, and media analyst. He maintains prolific website scaruffi.com, and authored the 2003 book, A History of Rock Music, 1951-2000.
Dan Morrell in The New York Times remarked: "Music magazine editors have few more tried-and-true formulas for boosting newsstand sales and web traffic than best-of lists...vast digests of gathered knowledge and opinion, usually the work of teams of editors, journalists and musicians, painstakingly assembled. But their collaborative efforts pale in comparison to the solo work of Piero Scaruffi."
Scaruffi received a degree in Mathematics (summa cum laude) in 1982 from University of Turin, where he did work on the General Theory of Relativity. For a number of years he was the head of the Artificial Intelligence Center at Olivetti, based in Cupertino, California. He has been a visiting scholar at Harvard University and Stanford University (conducting research on Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science), lectured on "The Nature of Mind" and "History of Knowledge" (most recently at U.C. Berkeley), and publishes on artificial intelligence and cognitive science, including Thinking About Thought (2003) and The Nature of Consciousness (2006).
He is committed to bridging artificial intelligence, mathematics, science and art. As a software consultant, he pioneered Internet applications, Artificial Intelligence and Object-Orientated design in Silicon Valley. He is an Italian naturalized American who is also known as a music writer. He has published books on the history of rock music, jazz, avant garde music and modern popular music. A History of Rock Music (2003) spans 50 years of the genre. His writings on music are hosted online on his website, scaruffi.com, and include a history of jazz and a history of modern classical music. The website, especially its music section, was the subject of an article in The New York Times on October 15, 2006.
From 2000 to 2003 he was a member of the Governing Board of Directors of the journal Leonardo. He chaired, among others, the Big Bang conference of June 2008 at UC-Berkeley. He has compiled an extensive "Annotated Bibliography of Mind-Related" Topics", as well.  He has been running the Leonardo Art Science Evenings (LASERS) at the University of San Francisco and Stanford University since 2008. He also runs the interdisciplinary quarterly events SMMMASH at Stanford University. Scaruffi is involved in organising and moderating events for Stanford Continuing Studies.
- 1987: L'Intelligenza Artificiale (Artificial Intelligence) Muzzio, Italy
- 1989 - 1997: Storia della Musica Rock, Arcana
- 1991: L'Ultimo (The Last One) Il Salice, Italy. Poetry
- 1991: La Mente Artificiale (The Artificial Mind). Angeli, Italy.
- 1991: Guida alla Musica d'Avanguardia (A Guide to Avantgarde Music)
- 1994: La Fabbrica del Pensiero (The Factory of Thought). La Stampa, Italy. Non-fiction
- 1996: Il Terzo Secolo (The Third Century)). Feltrinelli, Italy. Essays on the USA
- 1998: Dialogo degli Amanti (Dialogue of the Lovers). Lacaita, Italy. Poetry
- 2003: A History of Rock Music 1951-2000, Iuniverse, ISBN 0-595-29565-7
- 2003: Thinking About Thought, Iuniverse, ISBN 0-595-26420-4
- 2006: The Nature of Consciousness, Omniware, ISBN 0-9765531-1-2
- 2007: A History of Jazz Music 1900-2000, ISBN 978-0-9765531-3-7
- 2007: A History of Popular Music before Rock Music, ISBN 978-0-9765531-2-0
- 2008: A History of Rock and Dance Music, ISBN 978-0-9765531-5-1 (Vol 1: 1950-1989) & ISBN 978-0-9765531-6-8 (Vol 2: 1990-2008)
- 2009: Synthesis - A Book of Nothingness Poetry. ISBN 978-0-9765531-7-5
- 2011: A History of Silicon Valley, ISBN 978-0-9765531-8-2
- 2012: A Visual History of the Visual Arts, free ebook http://www.slideshare.net/scaruffi/a-visual-history-of-the-visual-arts-part-1
- Morrell, Dan (15 October 2006). "The Greatest Web Site of All Time". New York Times. Retrieved 17 October 2013.
- Jablon, Robert (19 January 2012). "Johnny Otis of 'Willie and the Hand Jive' dies". Boston.com. Boston Globe Electronic Publishing Inc. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Scaruffi's music reviews, Musica
- page of Leonardo Journal announcing new Governing Board Members (December 2000) 
- Leonardo/ISAST: Leonardo Day at Berkeley Big Bang 2008
- Watkins, Marshall (20 January 2012). "Bay Area thinkers ponder 'life'". The Stanford Daily. Retrieved 29 November 2013.
- Piero Scaruffi's knowledge base
- New York Times article on Piero Scaruffi
- Stanford University Piero Scaruffi page
- Stanford Multidisciplinary Multimedia Meeting of Arts, Science and Humanities... SMMMASH!