|Fields||Computer scientist, Teacher|
|Institutions||Computer Science Department, Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences, University of California, Irvine|
|Alma mater||California Institute of Technology|
|Known for||Genomics, Bioinformatics, Machine learning, Artificial intelligence, Communication network|
|Notable awards||Fellow AAAI and AAAS|
Born in Rome (Italy), Pierre Baldi received his Bachelor's of Science and Master of Science degrees at the University of Paris, in France. He then received his Ph.D. in Mathematics from the California Institute of Technology in 1986. From 1986 to 1988, he was a postdoctoral fellow at the University of California, San Diego. From 1988 to 1995, he held faculty and member of the technical staff positions at the California Institute of Technology and at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, where he was given the Lew Allen Award for Research Excellence in 1993. He was CEO of a start up company called Net-ID from 1995 to 1999 and joined University of California Irvine in 1999.
Pierre Baldi is a fellow of the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and the IEEE. He is also the recipient of the 2010 Eduardo R. Caianiello Prize for Scientific Contributions to the field of Neural Networks.
Pierre Baldi's research include artificial intelligence, statistical machine learning, and data mining, and their applications to problems in the life sciences in genomics, proteomics, systems biology,computational neuroscience, and, recently, deep learning.
- "Modeling the Internet and the Web. Probabilistic Methods and Algorithms", by Pierre Baldi, Paolo Frasconi and Padhraic Smyth. Wiley editors, 2003.
- "The Shattered Self—The End of Natural Evolution", by Pierre Baldi. MIT Press, 2001.
- "DNA Microarrays and Gene Regulation", Pierre Baldi and G. Wesley Hatfield. Cambridge University Press, 2002.
- "Bioinformatics: the Machine Learning Approach", by Pierre Baldi and Soren Brunak. MIT Press, 1998.
- List of UCI Chancellor's Professors, retrieved 2009-04-03.
- List of IGB faculty, retrieved 2009-04-03.
- Footnote of the scientific paper "How delays affect neural dynamics and learning", IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, July 1994 (.pdf)
- Lew Allen Award description.
- AAAI Announces Newly-Elected Fellows, July 24, 2007.
- New fellows, AAAS, retrieved 2009-04-03.
- 2012 Newly Elevated Fellows, IEEE, accessed 2011-12-10.
- http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=%22Pierre+Baldi%22&hl=en&lr= - On Google Scholar
- http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/indices/a-tree/b/Baldi:Pierre.html -DBLP publications
- http://www.igb.uci.edu/~pfbaldi/?page=publications - UCI publications