|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
Pierre Brasseur en 1961 dans le film
Mon frère Jacques
22 December 1905
|Died||16 August 1972 (aged 66)
Bruneck, South Tyrol, Italy
|Spouse(s)||Odette Joyeux (1935–1945)
Lina Magrini (1947–1961)
Pierre Brasseur (22 December 1905 – 16 August 1972), born Pierre-Albert Espinasse, was a French actor.
He was the son of actors Georges Espinasse and Germaine Brasseur, while the latter was married to Albert Brasseur. His grandfather, Jules Brasseur, was an actor as well. The family tradition of using the name Brasseur was continued by his son Claude and his grandson Alexandre.
Renowned for playing outsized characters, Brasseur is probably best known in the anglophone world for his (semi-fictionalised) portrayal of the actor Frédérick Lemaître in Les Enfants du Paradis (Children of Paradise, 1945) and as Docteur Génessier (more subdued) in the horror film Eyes Without a Face (Les Yeux sans visage, 1960) co-starring Alida Valli. On 30 May 1927, he performed the spoken role of the Narrator in the world premiere of Igor Stravinsky's opera-oratorio Oedipus Rex.
- He was made Chevalier (Knight) of the Légion d'honneur in 1966.
- He was made Commandeur (Commander) of the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres in 1967.
- Giuseppe Verdi (1938)
- Le Quai des brumes (1938)
- Croisière pour l'inconnu (1948)
- Millionnaires d'un jour (1949)
- La Bergère et le ramoneur (1952)
- Napoléon (1955)
- Gates of Paris (1957)
- La Vie à deux (1958)
- Carthage in Flames (1960)
- Candide ou l'optimisme au XXe siècle (1960)
- Un monde nouveau (1965)
- A Matter of Resistance (1965)
- King of Hearts (1966)
- Fortuna (1966)
- The Married Couple of the Year Two (1971)
- Pierre Brasseur's autobiography: Ma Vie en Vrac, Calmann-Lévy, 1972, ISBN 978-2-7021-0636-5
- Pierre Brasseur at the Internet Movie Database
- Pierre Brasseur's biography; accessed 12 December 2014. (French)