Pierre Dansereau, circa 1942-43
October 5, 1911|
Outremont, Quebec, Canada
|Died||September 28, 2011(aged 99)|
|Institutions||Montreal Botanical Garden
University of Michigan
Université du Québec à Montréal
|Alma mater||University of Geneva|
Born in Outremont, Quebec (now part of Montreal), he received a Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (B.Sc.A.) in 1936 and a Ph.D. in Science in 1939 from the University of Geneva. From 1939 until 1942 he worked at the Montreal Botanical Garden. From 1943 until 1950 he taught at the Université de Montréal. From 1950 until 1955 he worked at the University of Michigan Botanical Gardens. From 1955 until 1961 he worked in the Faculty of Science and as the director of the Botanical Institute at the Université de Montréal. In 1961 he returned to the United States as the assistant director of the New York Botanical Garden and as a professor of botany and geography at the Columbia University. From 1972 until 1976 he was the Director of the Research Centre for Sciences and the Environment at the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM). In 1988 he was made a Professor Emeritus at UQAM, but he still worked there after mandatory retirement (in 1976, at 65 years old) to year 2004, aged 93.
On September 28, 2011, Pierre Dansereau died, one week before his 100th birthday, after 76 years of marriage, and three months after his wife (a painter) became a centenarian — they had no children.
UQAM's Complexe des sciences Pierre-Dansereau was named for him.
- 1949 - Made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada (MSRC)
- 1959 - Awarded an Honorary Doctor of Laws from the University of Saskatchewan
- 1969 - Made a Companion of the Order of Canada
- 1972 - Delivered the Massey Lecture
- 1973 - Awarded the Royal Canadian Geographical Society's Massey Medal
- 1974 - Won the Molson Prize
- 1983 - Awarded the Université de Sherbrooke's prix Esdras-Minville
- 1983 - Won the Government of Quebec's Prix Marie-Victorin
- 1985 - Made a Knight of the National Order of Quebec; promoted to Grand Officer in 1992
- 1985 - Awarded the Canada Council for the Arts' Killam Prize
- 1995 - Awarded the Royal Society of Canada's Sir John William Dawson Medal
- 2001 - Inducted into the Canadian Science and Engineering Hall of Fame
- "Décès de Pierre Dansereau : L'UQAM perd un grand pionnier de l'écologie moderne". Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM). September 29, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011. (French)
- Dansereau, Fernand (2001). "An Ecology of Hope". NFB.ca. National Film Board of Canada. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- "Dansereau, Pierre (obituary notice)". La Presse (Montréal). October 1, 2011. Retrieved October 2, 2011. (French)
- Office of the Governor General of Canada. Order of Canada citation. Queen's Printer for Canada.
- "Pierre Dansereau". Gouvernement du Québec. 1992. Retrieved October 2, 2011. (French)
- Pierre Dansereau, Charles Scriver Inducted Into The Canadian Science and Engineering Hall of Fame, News Release, Canada Science and Technology Museum, November 8, 2001.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pierre Dansereau.|
- Pierre Dansereau at The Canadian Encyclopedia
- Audio interview with Pierre Dansereau on Les années lumière
- 'Barefoot ecologist' got up close to nature Toronto Globe and Mail obituary