Pierre Edmond Boissier
Pierre Edmond Boissier (25 May 1810 Geneva - 25 September 1885 Valeyres-sous-Rances) was a Swiss botanist, explorer and mathematician. He was the son of Jacques Boissier (1784-1857) and Lucile Butini (1786-1836), daughter of Pierre Butini (1759-1838) a well-known physician and naturalist from Geneva. With his sister, Valérie Boissier (1813-1894), he received a strict education with lessons delivered in Italian and Latin. Edmond's interest in natural history stemmed from holidays in the company of his mother and his grandfather, Pierre Butini at Valeyres-sous-Rances. His hikes in the Jura and the Alps laid the foundation of his zest for later exploration and adventure. He attended a course at the Academy of Geneva given by Augustin Pyramus de Candolle.
Edmond Boissier collected extensively in Europe, North Africa and western Asia, on occasion accompanied by his daughter, Caroline Barbey-Boissier (1847-1918) and her husband, William Barbey (1842-1914), who collected in their own right for their Herbier Barbey-Boissier in Geneva. Edmond Boissier covered countries such as France, Greece, Italy, Norway, Portugal, Spain (Balearic Islands), Switzerland, Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Armenia, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Turkey. His specimens are held at the following herbaria: AK, AWH, B, BERN, BM, BORD, BP, BR, C, CAS, CGE, CN, DBN, E, E-GL, F, FABR, FI, FR, G, GE, GH, GOET, H, HAL, JE, K, KIEL, L, LAU, LE, LY, LZ, M, MA, MANCH, MICH, MO, MPU, OXF, P, P-CO, PH, PI, TCD, TO, W, WAG, WB (see List of herbaria). He was the first to describe Galium ehrenbergii.
- Boissier, Edmond (1867-1884). Flora Orientalis sive enumeratio plantarum in Oriente a Graecia et Aegypto ad Indiae fines hucusque observatarum. Genevae et Basileae: apud H. Georg, Bibliopolam. Five volumes
- Voyage Botanique dans le Midi de l’Espagne pendant l’annéee 1837, 1839–45
- Elenchus plantarum novarum ... in itinere hispanico legit, 1838
- With Georges François Reuter (1805-1872), Diagnoses plantarum novarum hispanicum, 1842
- With Georges François Reuter, Pugillus plantarum novarum Africae borealis Hispaniaeque australis, 1852
- Diagnoses plantarum orientalium novarum, 1842-1859
- With Friedrich Alexander Buhse (1821-1898), Aufzählung der auf einer Reise durch Transkaukasien und Persien gesammelten Pflanzen, 1860
- Icones Euphorbiarum, 1866
- Boissiera is a genus in the family of Poaceae.
- Ulmus boissieri Grudz., an elm found in the Zagros Mountains, Iran.
- Pyrus boissieriana Buhse is a species of pear found in Iran, Turcomania and Azerbaijan
- Boissiera is the title of a collection of systematic botany memoirs published by the Conservatoire et Jardin Botaniques de la Ville de Genève (CJB).
- "Galium ehrenbergii". Encyclopedia of Life. Retrieved February 7, 2014.
- "Author Query for 'Boiss.'". International Plant Names Index.
- Historical Orchid Literature
- Essay on Boissier
- Plantas andaluzas en el herbario del Real Colegio Alfonso XII