Pierre Gagnaire (9 April 1950 in Apinac, Loire) is a well known French chef, and is the Head Chef and owner of the eponymous Pierre Gagnaire restaurant at 6 rue Balzac in Paris (in the 8th arrondissement). Gagnaire is an iconoclastic chef at the forefront of the fusion cuisine movement. Beginning his career in St. Etienne where he won three Michelin Stars, Gagnaire tore at the conventions of classic French cooking by introducing jarring juxtapositions of flavours, tastes, textures, and ingredients. On his website Pierre Gagnaire gives his mission statement as the wish to run a restaurant which is 'facing tomorrow but respectful of yesterday' ("tourné vers demain mais soucieux d'hier").
The restaurant specializes in modern French cuisine, and has garnered three Michelin stars. Gagnaire is also Head Chef of Sketch in London. In 2005 both restaurants were ranked in the S.Pellegrino World's 50 Best Restaurants by industry magazine Restaurant, with Pierre Gagnaire ranking third in 2006 and 2007.
In the United States
In December 2009, Gagnaire made his United States debut with Twist, a new flagship restaurant at the Mandarin Oriental in Las Vegas, which has since received great critical praise and a Forbes Five-Star Award.
||This section of a biography of a living person does not include any references or sources. (August 2011)|
- Paris, Pierre Gagnaire 1996–
- Paris, Gaya rive gauche par Pierre Gagnaire 2005–
- London, Sketch 2002–
- Tokyo, Pierre Gagnaire a Tokyo 2005–
- Hong Kong, Pierre 2006–
- Courchevel, Pierre Gagnaire pour les Airelles 2007–
- Dubai, Reflets par Pierre Gagnaire 2008–
- Seoul, Pierre Gagnaire à Séoul 2008–
- Las Vegas, Twist by Pierre Gagnaire 2009–
- Tokyo, Pierre Gagnaire Tokyo 2010
- Saint-Tropez, Colette 2010–
- Moscow, Les Menus par Pierre Gagnaire 2010–
- Berlin, Les Solistes by Pierre Gagnaire 2013–
- Pierre Gagnaire official website
- Pierre Gagnaire Biography, Interview, and Recipes starchefs.com
- Review of the Pierre Gagnaire restaurant cigaraficionado.com
- Inventing Cuisine: A documentary film by Paul Lacoste in French with English subtitles