|Pierre Damien Habumuremyi|
|Prime Minister of Rwanda|
7 October 2011
|Preceded by||Bernard Makuza|
20 February 1961 |
Ruhondo, Musanze District, Rwanda
|Political party||Rwandan Patriotic Front|
|Alma mater||University of Ouagadougou (Ph.D)
University of Lubumbashi(Bachelor's)
Pierre Damien Habumuremyi (born 21 February 1961) is a Rwandan politician who has been Prime Minister of Rwanda since 7 October 2011. He previously served as Minister of Education from May 2011 to October 2011.
Pierre Habumuremyi was born in 1961 in Ruhondo, Musanze District. He studied in a number of countries, including the Democratic Republic of the Congo, France and Burkina Faso. He obtained a B.Sc. in Sociology, before completing his post-graduation at the University of Lubumbashi in 1993. He then completed M.Sc. in Political Science from the Panthéon-Assas University in 2003. He holds a Ph.D. in Political Science, having completed his research at the University of Ouagadougou during 2006-2011.
Pierre Habumuremyi started his career as an academic, serving as the assistant professor at the National University of Rwanda from 1993 to 1999, and also served as a lecturer at the Kigali Independent University and the Kigali Lay Adventist University during 1997-1999. During this period, he also worked as a project coordinator at German Technical Assistance programme (GTZ Kigali) during 1995-1997 and a Senior Project Manager for the Catholic Relief Services during 1997-2000.
From 2000 to 2003, he was the Deputy Executive Secretary of the National Electoral Commission of Rwanda, after which he served as the Executive Secretary until 2008. Habumuremyi was elected as one of Rwanda's nine representatives in the East African Legislative Assembly on 11 May 2008. He was succeeded as Executive Secretary of the National Electoral Commission by Charles Munyaneza in July 2008.
He was appointed as the Prime Minister on the evening of 6 October 2011. His appointment came as a surprise to many, given his relatively low profile on the political scene.
He has written a book The Political integration in Rwanda after the 1994 genocide: Utopia or Reality, which was published by the Palotti Press (Kigali) in 2008.
- Index Ha, Rulers (B. Schemmel)
- . Virunga News. 2011-06-10 [Rwanda: Pierre Damien Habumuremyi appointed as new Prime Minister. Rwanda: Pierre Damien Habumuremyi appointed as new Prime Minister.] Retrieved 2012-11-21. Missing or empty
- "The Prime Minister". PMO Rwanda. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
- Felly Kimenyi, "Parliament elects Rwanda’s representatives to the EALA", The New Times, 12 May 2008.
- Dan Ngabonziza, "Former NEC boss leaves office", The New Times, 29 July 2008.
- "Remaniement ministériel au Rwanda, le Premier ministre inchangé", Angola Press Agency, 7 May 2011 (French).
- "New Prime Minister Damien Habumuremyi". Rwanda Dispatch. 2011-10-26. Retrieved 2012-11-21.
|Prime Minister of Rwanda