|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2015)|
Pierre Macherey (French: [maʃərɛ]; born 17 February 1938, Belfort) is a French Marxist literary critic at Université Lille Nord de France. A former student of Louis Althusser and collaborator on the influential volume Reading "Capital", Macherey is a central figure in the development of French post-structuralism and Marxism. His work is influential in literary theory and Continental philosophy in Europe (including Britain) though it is generally little read in the United States.
Only a partial selection of Macherey's work has been translated into English.
- Reading Capital, (1965 - with Louis Althusser, Étienne Balibar and Jacques Rancière)
- Hegel ou Spinoza, Maspéro, 1977 (reed. La Découverte, 2004)
- A Theory of Literary Production (1978): ISBN 0-415-04613-0
- Hegel et la société, PUF, (1984)
- The Object of Literature (1995): ISBN 0-521-47678-X
- In a Materialist Way: Selected Essays (1998 ed. Warren Montag): ISBN 1-85984-949-0
- "Hegel or Spinoza", University of Minnesota Press (Jan 2012). Translator, Susan M. Ruddick
- Pierre Macherey's personal site
- Macherey from the Literary Encyclopedia
- Notes from generation-online.org