Pierre Rolland (cyclist)
Rolland at the 2011 Critérium du Dauphiné
|Full name||Pierre Rolland|
10 October 1986 |
|Height||1.84 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||67 kg (148 lb; 10.6 st)|
|Current team||Team Europcar|
|Super Sport 35
Crédit Agricole (stagiaire)
Bbox Bouygues Telecom
|Infobox last updated on
2 January 2014
Born in Gien, Rolland turned professional in 2007 for Crédit Agricole after riding for the team as a stagiaire in late 2006. In his first season as a professional he won stages at La Tropicale Amissa Bongo and the Tour du Limousin. In 2008 he won the Mountains classification at the Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré. At the 2008 Summer Olympic Games, Rolland competed in the road race but he did not finish. In 2010 he won a stage at the Circuit de Lorraine and finished eighth at the Critérium du Dauphiné.
During the 2011 Tour de France, Rolland gained acclaim for his strong work in defense of Thomas Voeckler's yellow jersey. Following the 14th stage of the Tour, Lance Armstrong referred to Rolland as a "rockstar." Rolland won the 19th stage at the top of Alpe d'Huez, beating Olympic gold medalist Samuel Sánchez and three-time Tour champion Alberto Contador. The victory also won him the white jersey, which he successfully defended in the 20th stage. He finished the Tour 10th in the general classification.
At the 2012 Tour de France, Rolland made a late attack which led to him winning stage 11, a mountain top finish up in La Toussuire/Les Sybelles. He finished the Tour in 8th place in the general classification, his best career performance, and the highest position of any Frenchman that year.
- 1st Mountains classification Critérium du Dauphiné Libéré
- 3rd Overall La Tropicale Amissa Bongo
- 1st Mountains classification Critérium International
- 2nd Overall, Circuit de Lorraine
- 1st Stage 4
- 8th Overall Critérium du Dauphiné
- 10th Overall Tour de France
Grand Tours overall classification results timeline
- "Pierre Rolland profile". Unknown parameter
- "Team Europcar (EUC) – FRA". UCI World Tour. Union Cycliste Internationale. Retrieved 2 January 2014.
- An interview with Pierre Rolland Cyclingnews.com, 17 June 2008
- Voeckler A Tour De France Contender, Says Armstrong Cyclingnews.com, 16 July 2011
- Pierre Rolland wins 19th stage of Tour de France Yahoo! News, 19 July 2011
- "Wiggins and Froome fill top two places". BBC Sport. BBC. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2012.
- Tour De France: Stage 19, Route Maps & Results Cyclingnews.com, 22 July 2011
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pierre Rolland.|
- Official website (French)
- Pierre Rolland profile Team Europcar
- Pierre Rolland (cyclist) profile at Cycling Archives