12 September 1921|
|Died||23 August 2009
|Institutions||University of Paris|
|Alma mater||Princeton University|
|Doctoral advisor||Oscar Zariski|
|Doctoral students||Daniel Lazard
Pierre Samuel (12 September 1921 – 23 August 2009) was a French mathematician, known for his work in commutative algebra and its applications to algebraic geometry. The two-volume work Commutative Algebra that he wrote with Oscar Zariski is a classic. Other books of his covered projective geometry and algebraic number theory. He ran a Paris seminar during the 1960s, and became Professeur émérite at the Université Paris-Sud (Orsay). His lectures on unique factorization domains published by the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research played a significant role in computing the Picard group of a Zariski surface via the work of Jeffrey Lang and collaborators. The method was inspired by earlier work of Nathan Jacobson and Pierre Cartier another outstanding member of the Bourbaki group. Nicholas Katz related this to the concept of p-curvature of a connection introduced by Alexander Grothendieck.
He was a member of the Bourbaki group, and filmed some of their meetings. A French television documentary on Bourbaki broadcast some of this footage in 2000.
Samuel was also active in issues of social justice, including concerns about environmental degradation (where he was influenced by Grothendieck), and arms control. He died in Paris in August 2009.
- with Oscar Zariski: Commutative algebra I, Graduate Texts in Mathematics 28, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, 1975 , ISBN 978-0-387-90089-6, MR 0090581
- with Oscar Zariski: Commutative algebra. Vol. II, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, 1975 , ISBN 978-0-387-90171-8, MR 0389876
- Anneaux factoriels, Publicaçoes da Sociedade de Matematica de São Paulo, 1962
- Théorie algébrique des nombres. Hermann. 1967. ISBN 2-7056-5589-1.
- Écologie: détente ou cycle infernal, Union générale d'éditions, Collection 10-18, 1973
- Amazones, guerrières et gaillardes, éditions Complexe & Presses universitaires de Grenoble, 1975
- Le nucléaire en question, 1980
- Géométrie projective, Presses universitaires de France, 1986
- Colloque en l'honneur de Pierre Samuel, Mém. Société mathématique de France (1989)
- Colloque en l'honneur de Pierre Samuel, Mem. Math. Soc. Fr. (1989)
- Pierre Samuel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Pierre Samuel", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
|This article about a French mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|