Pimpri-Chinchwad Bus Rapid Transit System
The system was announced in December 2008, when eight routes covering 112 km were proposed. Construction of the first route was due to be completed within 18 months. By January 2009, 90% of construction work on an 11 km pilot route between Nigdi and Dapodi had been completed. However, a string of disputes between the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC), civic administrators and corporators led to the project being delayed, with corporators citing funding difficulties and problems encountered on the similar Delhi BRTS and Pune BRTS projects as the causes.
In September 2009 it was announced to the press that, although most work had been completed, difficulties procuring the 650 buses required to run on the system had led to the project being indefinitely postponed. It was also found that the proposed new bus shelters had been due to be installed on the wrong side of the road, leading to delays in their construction, while passenger information systems had yet to be installed. The PCMC stated that this was not a major issue as the shelters could be constructed quickly from prefabricated materials, and that the vehicles would be purchased by December 2009. A month later it was revealed that the cost of the project had overrun by 230 crore, around 50% of the total project cost.
By May 2010, funding for the completion of four BRT routes had been agreed, with the remaining four sanctioned by the national government but not yet funded. A number of high-rise buildings along the routes had also been approved for construction.
The system will when completed comprise eight routes with a total length of 112 km, with improved street lighting and passenger facilities on the roads used by the system. It will require around 650 buses to operate the complete network. The system will be substantially different to that in neighbouring Pune, with wider roads and grade separation allowing a more substantial network to be constructed.
- Pune BRTS Routes in Pimpri Chinchwad
- Tarun Nangia, Pune (Dec 21, 2008). "Pimpri-Chinchwad BRTS to give route map a new glow". Indian Express. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- "Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporation advised to go slow on BRTS plan". Institute for Transportation and Development Policy. January 15, 2009. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Rapid transit system on slow track - Pune - The Times Of India
- PM News Bureau (October 12, 2009). "Pimpri-Chinchwad BRTS cost overrun". Projects Monitor. Retrieved 2013-04-21.
- Soon, high-rise buildings for Pimpri-Chinchwad Indian Express
- BRTS in Pune different from Pimpri-Chinchwad's - Pune - News | News Syndication