|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
|Origin||San Diego, California, USA|
|Genres||Indie rock, electronic rock, progressive rock|
|Labels||Temporary Residence, Touch and Go, Absolutely Kosher, Ace Fu|
|Associated acts||Three Mile Pilot, Systems Officer, Goblin Cock, Optiganally Yours, Aspects of Physics, Thingy, Heavy Vegetable, Physics, Team Sleep, Devfits|
Armistead Burwell Smith IV
|Past members||Erik Hoversten, Braden Diotte, Terrin Durfey, Tom Zinser, Ryan Bromley, Cameron Jones, Kenseth Thibideau, Brent Asbury, Gabriel Voiles, Dmitri Dziensuwski, Donny Van Zandt, Thatcher Orbitachi|
Pinback is an indie rock band from San Diego, California. The band was formed in 1998 by singers, songwriters and multi-instrumentalists Armistead Burwell Smith IV and Rob Crow, who have been its two consistent members. They have released five studio albums and several other releases.
History and Origin
The band's moniker is a reference to a character in the 1974 film Dark Star (played by Dan O'Bannon, who also co-wrote the film), directed by John Carpenter. Audio samples from this film are used frequently in the band's early works.
In 2004, Pinback signed to Touch and Go Records. They released their third album, Summer in Abaddon, later that year. Pinback's fourth full-length album, Autumn of the Seraphs, was released on September 11, 2007. The band also recently released a collection of rarities, entitled Nautical Antiques. They appeared live in a nationally broadcast interview and played a couple of songs on NPR's Talk of the Nation on October 8, 2007. The program is available for download via NPR's website.
On April 1, 2009, it was announced that Pinback was working on a new album that would be released by Temporary Residence Ltd. Their fifth studio album, Information Retrieved, was released October 16, 2012. On August 15, 2012, Pinback released the song "Proceed to Memory" from Information Retrieved free to play through RollingStone.com.
Smith and Crow have been the band's two consistent members. They are typically joined by drummer Chris Prescott. Tom Zinser and Mario Rubalcaba have previously contributed drums. Other past members of the Pinback live band are: Erik Hoversten, Braden Diotte, Terrin Durfey, Ryan Bromley, Cameron Jones, Kenseth Thibideau, Brent Asbury, Tom Zinser, Gabriel Voiles, Dmitri Dziensuwski, Donny Van Zandt, and Thatcher Orbitashi.
- This Is A Pinback CD (1999)
- Blue Screen Life (2001)
- Summer in Abaddon (2004) U.S. No. 196
- Autumn of the Seraphs (2007) U.S. No. 69
- Information Retrieved (2012) U.S. No. 71
- Nautical Antiques (2006)
- Live in Donny's Garage (2000)
- Some Voices (2000)
- This Is a Pinback Tour E.P. (2001)
- More or Less Live in a Few Different Places (2002)
- Arrive Having Eaten (2003)
- Offcell (2003)
- Too Many Shadows (2004)
- ascii E.P. (2008)
- Information Retrieved, Pt. A (2011)
- Information Retrieved Pt. B (2011)
- "Loro" (1999)
- "Tripoli" (2000)
- "Penelope" (2001)
- "Fortress" (2004)
- "Todo" (2004)
- "From Nothing to Nowhere" (2007)
- "Proceed to Memory" (2012)
- "Sherman" (2012)
- Elizabethtown (soundtrack) (2005)
- Sydney White (2007)
- How I Met Your Mother (2009)
- Yo Gabba Gabba! (2010)
- The O.C.
- Thill, Scott Pinback Biography Retrieved on March 27, 2014
- About Pinback Retrieved on March 27, 2014
- Touch and Go/Quarterstick Records (2007-06-05). "Pinback". touchandgorecords.com. Retrieved 2007-06-04.
- Pitchfork Media Records (2007-05-24). "Pinback Return With Autumn of the Seraphs". Pitchfork Media Records.com. Retrieved 2007-06-05.
- Gwendolyn Elliott (2009-05-06). "Album Review: Pinback - Autumn of the Seraphs | Prefix". Prefixmag.com. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- "Pinback Announce First Album in Five Years | News". Pitchfork. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- Jon Blistein (2012-08-15). "Song Premiere: Pinback, 'Proceed to Memory' | Music News". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2012-11-01.
- Billboard, Allmusic
- Mischa Pearlman (2012-07-12). "Californian duo’s first LP for five years is a downbeat delight". BBC. Retrieved 2014-03-27.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pinback.|