Pine Lawn, Missouri
|Pine Lawn, Missouri|
Location of Pine Lawn, Missouri
|• Total||0.61 sq mi (1.58 km2)|
|• Land||0.61 sq mi (1.58 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||610 ft (186 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||3,261|
|• Density||5,368.9/sq mi (2,072.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0756530|
As of the census of 2010, there were 3,275 people, 1,189 households, and 834 families residing in the city. The population density was 5,368.9 inhabitants per square mile (2,072.9/km2). There were 1,606 housing units at an average density of 2,632.8 per square mile (1,016.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 1.5% White, 96.4% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.1% Asian, 0.2% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.2% of the population.
There were 1,189 households of which 41.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 17.7% were married couples living together, 44.9% had a female householder with no husband present, 7.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 29.9% were non-families. 26.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.2% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.75 and the average family size was 3.31.
The median age in the city was 31.8 years. 31.1% of residents were under the age of 18; 9.8% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24.8% were from 25 to 44; 22.3% were from 45 to 64; and 11.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 44.7% male and 55.3% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,204 people, 1,469 households, and 1,066 families residing in the city. The population density was 6,942.5 people per square mile (2,660.9/km²). There were 1,709 housing units at an average density of 2,822.2 per square mile (1,081.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 2.35% Caucasian American, 95.96% African American, 0.12% Native American, 0.07% Asian, 0.40% from other races, and 1.09% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.38% of the population.
There were 1,469 households out of which 34.6% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 24.0% were married couples living together, 42.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.4% were non-families. 23.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.86 and the average family size was 3.38.
In the city the population was spread out with 33.6% under the age of 18, 9.6% from 18 to 24, 26.6% from 25 to 44, 19.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 79.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 71.2 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $21,500, and the median income for a family was $23,217. Males had a median income of $23,542 versus $22,399 for females. The per capita income for the city was $11,908. About 34.3% of families and 36.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 54.5% of those under age 18 and 16.3% of those age 65 or over.
Police and Municipal Courts Controversy
Pine Lawn police issued some 17,000 traffic violations during 2014, in a town with about 2,300 adults, and has 23,000 open warrants. For the fiscal year ending June 30, 2014, Pine Lawn had General Revenue in the amount of $3,532,167, $2,237,196 of this came from fine and fees from its Municipal Court. This amounts to 63% of its General Revenue or based the 2010 Census $683.11 for each of its 3,275 residents. The local prosecutor was criticized for this, because he is a lawyer for the Michael Brown family, and alleges overzealous enforcement by the Ferguson Police Department. 
The report of the US Attorney General concerning the Ferguson Police Department prompted protests in Pine Lawn, Missouri as well.  The use of police departments as revenue generation units may be widespread. 
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-02-17. Retrieved 2012-07-08.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-05-30.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Pine Lawn city, Missouri". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Archived from the original on 2012-05-31. Retrieved October 24, 2011.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "The Little City That Couldn't," The Riverfront Times, July 5, 2006
- "Jailers Took Pictures of Young Man Who Hanged Himself in His Cell While He Was Still Alive, Father Alleges" Alternet.org, August 22, 2013