|Nickname(s): Eagle City|
|Country||People's Republic of China|
|• Secretary of Municipal Committee of the CPC||Deng Yongjian|
|• Total||7,882 km2 (3,043 sq mi)|
|• Density||660/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||China Standard (UTC+8)|
|GDP||¥5,656 per capita (2000)|
|Major Nationalities||Han, Hui|
|License plate prefixes||豫D|
Pingdingshan (simplified Chinese: 平顶山; traditional Chinese: 平頂山; pinyin: Píngdǐngshān; Postal map spelling: Pingtingshan), also known as the Eagle City, with approximately 5.2 million inhabitants is a prefecture-level city in central Henan province, People's Republic of China.
Pingdingshan was founded in 1957. In Chinese, Pingdingshan means 'flat mountain'; The city is named after a nearby plateau which has a very flat top. The reason for the city's "Eagle City" nickname can be traced back to two thousand years ago during the Spring and Autumn Annals. There was a small country royal named Ying that lived around Pingdingshan. In ancient times, the word "Ying" meant Eagle, therefore people also call Pingdingshan the Eagle City.
- Xinhua District (新华区) Area: 157 km2 or 61 sq mi，Population: 360 thousand, Post code: 467002
- Weidong District (卫东区) Area: 103 km2 or 40 sq mi，Population: 290 thousand, Post code: 467021
- Zhanhe District (湛河区) Area: 124 km2 or 48 sq mi，Population: 220 thousand, Post code: 467000
- Shilong District (石龙区) Area: 35 km2 or 14 sq mi，Population: 60 thousand, Post code: 467045
- Ruzhou City (汝州市) Area: 1,573 km2 or 607 sq mi，Population: 960 thousand, Post code: 467500
- Wugang City (舞钢市) Area: 640 km2 or 250 sq mi，Population: 310 thousand, Post code: 462500
- Lushan County (鲁山县) Area: 2,406 km2 or 929 sq mi，Population: 830 thousand, Post code: 467002
- Baofeng County (宝丰县) Area: 722 km2 or 279 sq mi，Population: 480 thousand, Post code: 467400
- Ye County (叶县) Area: 1,387 km2 or 536 sq mi，Population: 820 thousand, Post code: 467200
- Jia County (郏县) Area: 727 km2 or 281 sq mi，Population: 560 thousand, Post code: 467100
Colleges and universities
- Pingdingshan No.1 Middle School
- Pingdingshan No.1 High School
- Pingdingshan No.2 Middle School
- Pingdingshan No.8 Middle School
- Pingdingshan Experimental High School
Twin towns — Sister cities
Pingdingshan, People's Republic of China is twinned with:
|This section requires expansion. (November 2010)|
Pingdingshan has been identified by the Economist Intelligence Unit in the November 2010 Access China White Paper as a member of the CHAMPS (Chongqing, Hefei, Anshan, Maanshan, Pingdingshan and Shenyang), an economic profile of the top 20 emerging cities in China.
- Pingdingshan thrush Valley A National "AAA" rated scenic spot and a major tourist attraction in Henan. It is named after the many thrushes breeding here. The scenic area is a total of 30 square kilometres (12 sq mi). There are numerous attractions such as cuckoo lake, an area known as "the pocket of the Three Gorges".
- Yaoshan A national "AAAA" rated scenic spot. Located nearby in Lushan County. Originally known as Yaoshan Shirenshan. Home to the Spring Temple Buddha, the largest statue in the world, built in 2002.
- "Sister city relationship Syzran" (in Russian). Unknown parameter
- THE RISE OF THE ‘CHAMPS’ - NEW REPORT MAPS BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY IN CHINA’S FASTEST GROWING CITIES
- Pingdingshan Municipal People's Government (in Simplified Chinese)
- Pingdingshan Information Portal
- Pingdingshan News Network
- Pingdingshan Economic Network