Pingtang County (Chinese: 平塘县; pinyin: Píngtáng Xiàn) is a county in the Qiannan Buyei and Miao Autonomous Prefecture of Guizhou, in southwest China. It is a high mountain valley and is inhabited mainly by members of the Buyei and Miao ethnic minorities, who together make up 55% of the county's population.
The county's area is 2,816 square km and in 2002 its population was approximately 300,000. The county's government is based in the town of Pinghu.
In June 2002, a 270 million-year-old stone called Hidden character stone inscribed with six Chinese characters, reading "中国共产党亡" ("the Communist Party of China Perish") was discovered at the Zhangbu Scenic Spot in Zhangbu village (掌布乡).
The Five hundred meter Aperture Spherical Telescope will be located here.
Towns and townships
The towns and townships under the jurisdiction of Pingtang County include:
- Pinghu (平湖镇; pinyin: Pínghú zhèn)
- 摆茹镇 (pinyin: zhèn)
- 通州镇 (pinyin: zhèn)
- Yazhou (牙舟镇; pinyin: Yázhōu zhèn)
- 大塘镇 (pinyin: zhèn)
- Kedu (克度镇; pinyin: Kèdù zhèn)
- Tangbian (塘边镇; pinyin: Tángbiān zhèn)
- 者密镇和四寨镇 (pinyin: zhèn)
- 白龙乡 (pinyin: xiāng)
- Xintang (新塘乡; pinyin: Xīntáng xiāng)
- 卡蒲毛南族乡 (pinyin: xiāng)
- 西凉乡 (pinyin: xiāng)
- 卡罗乡 (pinyin: xiāng)
- Gudong (谷洞乡; pinyin: Gǔdòng xiāng)
- Zhangbu (掌布乡; pinyin: Zhǎngbù xiāng)
- Shuchang (鼠场乡; pinyin: Shǔcháng xiāng)
- 甘寨乡和苗二河乡 (pinyin: xiāng)
- Map of Pingtang County
- Article about Hidden Words Stone
- Renminbao article about Hidden Words Stone
- Experts confirm the hidden characters were naturally formed (article in Chinese)