Pink Box: Inside Japan's Sex Clubs
Pink Box is a book by photojournalist Joan Sinclair, chronicling her exploration of the secret world of fuzoku (prostitution) in Japan. Sinclair was joined by contributor James Farrer, a sociologist, who attempted to "place[s] the images in the context of contemporary Japanese culture." The book is 192 pages long, and was published in 2006.
Sinclair, a lawyer, describes being triggered to write the book by a comment she overheard ten years earlier, when she spent a year teaching English in Japan. Sinclair describes encountering and overcoming difficulties researching and gaining access to the clubs, usually reserved for Japanese-born patrons.
- "Pink Box By Joan Sinclair". Google Book Search. Retrieved 2009-01-05.
- "Peeping into the Pink Box: inside Japan's sex clubs". Kansai Scene. Retrieved 2008-10-21. mirror
- Venkatesan Vembu (2006-10-13). "Lust in translation". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 2008-10-21. mirror
- Ryan Bigge (2007-02-11). "A picture and a thousand words". Toronto Star. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
In the recent and related book Pink Box, photographer Joan Sinclair documents fuzoku (the commercial sex industry) – estimated to be a billion-dollar business – in Japan's Kabukicho district. These sex clubs are like miniature movie sets, replete with actors, and feature peeping rooms, airplane seats and stewardesses, doctor's offices and nurses, restaurants and waitresses, and a replica of a subway car with female ‘commuters’.mirror
- Carolyn Ali (2007-03-15). "A visual journey into Japan's sex industry". Georgia Straight. Retrieved 2012-05-19.
Pink Box captures their inner sanctums in a photographic collection. It's not a coffee-table book for a person's mother to see. Photographer Joan Sinclair visited over 90 clubs and returned with images of women working in nude theatres, peeping rooms, “touch pubs”, and “image clubs” with elaborately decorated fantasy theme rooms.mirror
- Roland Kelts. "Interview with photographer Joan Sinclair". Retrieved 2008-10-21. mirror
- "Books on Japan: Pink Box". Japan Visitor. Retrieved 2008-10-21. mirror
- "Exotic Sex Study". New York Post. Archived from the original on 2008-10-21. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
- George Rush, Joanna Molloy (2006-10-20). "The dish on two storied reporters". New York Daily News. Retrieved 2008-09-28.
THOSE CABANA Rum cocktails did the trick when some guests jumped in the pool at the Hotel QT party for Joan Sinclair's photo book, "Pink Box: Inside Japan's Sex Clubs." At the bash, hosted by Andre Balazs, Brandon Holley and David Kuhn, the fetching Sinclair confided that she hopes her penetration of Tokyo's sex industry won't foul up her application for a post in the Bush administration. Au contraire! It's a qualification ...mirror