Cannes Film Festival Poster
|Directed by||Shaji N. Karun|
|Produced by||Shaji N. Karun|
|Written by||S. Jayachandran Nair
Shaji N. Karun
C. V. Sreeraman
|Music by||G. Aravindan|
|Cinematography||Sunny Joseph |
|Release dates||January 1989|
|Running time||110 minutes|
Piravi (Malayalam: പിറവി, meaning The Birth) is a 1989 Malayalam feature film directed by Shaji N. Karun. It stars Premji, Archana and Lakshmi Krishnamurthy. The film's music is composed by G. Aravindan. Piravi met with widespread critical acclaim upon release. The film was screened and very well received at many film festivals across the world, bagging at least 31 awards in total, including the Caméra d'Or at the 1989 Cannes Film Festival. It also won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film at the National Film Awards in 1989.
Raghu is one of two children born to Raghava Chakyar (Premji) and his wife. Born quite late in his parents' marriage, Raghu is brought up with immense devotion and love until adulthood.
Now studying in an engineering college far from home, Raghu must return home for the engagement ceremony of his sister (Archana), but fails to turn up. His father Raghavan waits endlessly for his son to return. Raghavan takes daily trips to the local bus stop, waiting all day in the hope that Raghu will eventually come home. Soon it emerges, and the family come to know through newspapers, that Raghu has been taken into custody by the police for political reasons.
Raghavan sets out to try and find his son, and he eventually reaches police headquarters. However the police pretend not to know about Raghu, or his whereabouts, and furthermore, deny the fact that Raghu was taken into custody. Raghu's sister eventually comes to the realization that her brother probably has died as a result of police torture, but hasn't the heart to tell her father. Raghavan slowly begins to lose grip of reality, and starts to dream of his family reuniting once more.
The film has won the following awards since its release:
- Won - Sir Charles Chaplin Award - Piravi - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Prize of the Ecumenical Jury - Special Mention - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Silver Leopard - Shaji N. Karun
- Nominated - Golden Leopard - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Golden Lotus Award - National Film Award for Best Feature Film - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Golden Lotus Award - Best Director - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Silver Lotus Award - Best Actor - Premji
- Won - Silver Lotus Award - Best Audiography - T. Krishnanunni
- Won - Best Feature Film - Piravi - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Silver Hugo - Piravi - Shaji N. Karun
1990 Bergamo Film Meeting (Italy)
- Won - Bronze Rosa Camuna - Shaji N. Karun
1990 Fribourg International Film Festival (Switzerland)
- Won - Distribution Help Award - Shaji N. Karun
- Won - Crystal Simorgh - International Competition: Superb Film - Piravi - Shaji N. Karun