|City and Commune|
View of Pirque
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Total||445.3 km2 (171.9 sq mi)|
|Population (2002 Census)|
|• Density||37/km2 (96/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CLT (UTC-4)|
|• Summer (DST)||CLST (UTC-3)|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||http://www.portalpirque.cl Portal Pirque|
Pirque (PEER-kay) is a commune of Chile in Cordillera Province, Santiago Metropolitan Region; it is located 2.8 kilometers SE of Puente Alto and 21.3 kilometers SSE of the center of Santiago. It is situated in a mountain chain.
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Pirque spans an area of 445.3 km2 (172 sq mi) and has 16,565 inhabitants (8,384 men and 8,181 women). Of these, 9,651 (58.3%) lived in urban areas and 6,914 (41.7%) in rural areas. The population grew by 45.7% (5,197 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses.
- Population: 20,518 (2006 projection)
- Average annual household income: US$21,537 (PPP, 2006)[dead link]
- Population below poverty line: 9.1% (2006)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Pirque is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Mr. Osvaldo Andrade (PS) and Mr. Leopoldo Pérez (RN) as part of the 29th electoral district, (together with Puente Alto, San José de Maipo and La Pintana). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear Valenzuela (PDC) and Ena Von Baer (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish).
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org.
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile.[dead link]
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original on August 24, 2007.
- Portal Pirque: Community website Pirque