Pistol Auto 9mm 1A
||This article or section appears to contradict itself about the manufacture dates. (December 2013)|
In 1971, preliminary works were established to make Pistol Auto 9mm 1A. The first specimen was manufactured in 1977, while large-scale manufacturing began in 1981. The Rifle Factory Ishapore manufactures this pistol using stamping dies for the Browning Hi-Power pistol from the former John Inglis manufacturing facility in Toronto, Canada. The pistol is an exact copy of Browning Hi-Power. It is unknown how India obtained the license and why it chose this model.
- Calibre: 9 mm
- Sights: Iron Sights, Front sight: blade dovetailed on the slide; rear sight: notched bar integrated into slide
- Weight: With magazine empty: 0.935 kg, with magazine loaded: 1.075 kg
- Length overall: 205 mm
- Barrel length: 120 mm
- Magazine Capacity: 13 rounds
- Ammunition used: Cartridge SA Ball 9 mm MK.2z(Parabellum)
- Rifling: 6 grooves, 1 turn in 254 mm, R.H.
- Muzzle Velocity: 396.23 m/s.
- Number of components: 54
- Range: 50 m
- Total length of round: H-29.69 mm, L-28.91 mm
- Total mass of round: 11.94 g ± 0.65 g
- Maximum diameter: 9.96 mm
- Explosive filling in case: 0.450 g (approx) propellant SPA-2 or propellant NC-688
- Cap Composition: 23 mg VH2 compo E1 compo
- Mean velocity at 18 m from muzzle: 397 ± 15 m/s
- Accuracy: 75.2 mm Mean Figure of Merit at 45 m
- Pressure Mean: 201 MPa, Individual 215 MPa; no single round should exceed 216 MPa.
Law Enforcement and Military use
- India - Widely used by Indian Armed Forces, Central Armed Police Forces and other Law enforcement agencies such as State Police forces, as a service weapon.
According to The Arms Act of India, 1959, this weapon comes under the "Prohibited Bore (PB)" category, and possession by civilians is illegal.
OFB still exports few pistols to other countries, however, where gun possession policy is more liberal.
- "About Pistol Auto 9mm 1A". rfi.gov.in. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Milestones". rfi.gov.in. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "History". rfi.nic.in. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Products - Ammunition". ofbindia.gov.in. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Indian Army Equipments". defence.pk. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
- "Anyone here of Indian Ord ?". www.thehighroad.org. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
"Indian Ordinance MK1A from Dan's". falfiles.com. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
"Indian Ordnance Made MkA1 9mm Hi-Power Type Pistols". forums.gunboards.com. Retrieved 19 November 2013.
"India Ordnance Factories P-35". www.thehighroad.org. Retrieved 19 November 2013.