Pitcairn, New York
|Pitcairn, New York|
|• Total||59.5 sq mi (154.0 km2)|
|• Land||59.0 sq mi (152.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||984 ft (300 m)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979369|
The Town of Pitcairn is in the southwest part of the county and is south of Canton.
Settlers began to arrive in the area around 1825 near Portaferry Lake.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 59.5 square miles (154 km2), of which, 59.0 square miles (153 km2) of it is land and 0.5 square miles (1.3 km2) of it (0.84%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 783 people, 295 households, and 233 families residing in the town. The population density was 13.3 people per square mile (5.1/km²). There were 412 housing units at an average density of 7.0 per square mile (2.7/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 99.36% White, 0.26% Asian, 0.38% from other races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.64% of the population.
There were 295 households out of which 39.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 64.7% were married couples living together, 6.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.0% were non-families. 17.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.65 and the average family size was 2.92.
In the town the population was spread out with 27.2% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 29.1% from 25 to 44, 28.4% from 45 to 64, and 9.7% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 37 years. For every 100 females there were 114.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 105.8 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $30,089, and the median income for a family was $35,000. Males had a median income of $36,705 versus $26,071 for females. The per capita income for the town was $15,368. About 10.3% of families and 11.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.3% of those under age 18 and 8.0% of those age 65 or over.
Communities and locations in Pitcairn
- Backus – A hamlet south of Pitcairn village.
- Baldface Hill – An elevation north of Pitcairn village.
- Copper Hill – An elevation north of Baldface Hill.
- Geers Corners – A hamlet in the southwest part of the town, located on NY-812.
- Jayville – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town, east of Kalurah.
- Kalurah – A hamlet in the southeast part of the town.
- East Pitcairn – A hamlet in the northeast part of the town on County Road 23.
- Pitcairn – The hamlet of Pitcairn is in the central part of the town on NY-3.
- Portaferry Lake – A small lake by the east town line.