4 July 1957
|Occupation||Visual Effects director, director, screenwriter|
Pitof was born Jean-Christophe Comar on July 4, 1957 in Paris, France. From an early age, he harbored an interest in photography. As a teenager, he built a photography studio in the basement of his parents' house and landed a job as a photographer's assistant.
Pitof entered the film industry in 1976 as an assistant director and film editor. He branched out into visual effects in 1986 when he co-founded Duran Duboi, a successful post-production studio. He continued working as a visual effects supervisor and assistant director until 2001, when his directorial debut, the supernatural thriller film Vidocq was released. The film was notable for being the first motion picture to be shot using entirely digital cinematography. It was a commercial success despite receiving mixed reviews from film critics.
Pitof continued working on commercials and short films. As of late 2013, he is in pre-production of a new film, tentatively entitled The Dragon Angel.
Second unit director
- Alien: Resurrection (1997)
- Closer Apart (2012)
- The Coin (2012)
- The Activist (2013)
- Vidocq (2001)
- Le pistolet (2003)
Visual effects supervisor
- Asterix & Obelix Take On Caesar (1999)
- Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc (1999)
- Alien: Resurrection (1997)
- Didier (1997)
- Fantome avec Chauffeur (1996)
- Beaumarchais (1996)
- Fallait pas (1996)
- The City of Lost Children (1995)
- Happiness is in the Field (1995)
- Ma Femme me Quitte (1995)
- Dead Tired (1994)
- The Daughter of d'Artagnan (1994)
- Blue Helmet (1994)
- Giorgino (1994)
- Montparnasse Pondichery (1994)
- Cash-Cash (1994)
- The Visitors (1993)
- The Thirst for Gold (1993)
- Fanfan & Alexandre (1993)
- Metisse (1993)
- My Name Is Victor (1993)
- Le Bal des Casse-Pieds (1992)
- Delicatessen (1991)
Awards and accolades
- Kids' Choice Award (nominated) for Catwoman
- CNOMA Award for Best Make-Up for Catwoman
- Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Director for Catwoman
- World Stunt Award (nominated) for Catwoman
- Silver Grand Prize of European Fantasy Film at Fantasporto for Vidocq
- International Fantasy Film Award for Best Special Effects at Fantasporto for Vidocq
- International Fantasy Film Award for Best Film (nominated) at Fantasporto for Vidocq
- Best Film at Sitges for Vidocq
- Citizen Kane Award to the Director Revelation at Sitges for Vidocq
- Best Visual Effects at Sitges for Vidocq
- Best Makeup Effects at Sitges for Vidocq
- Best Original Score at Sitges for Vidocq
- Solutions Productions Achievement in Post-Production Award for Asterix & Obelix vs Caesar
- Saturn Award for Best Special Effects (nominated) for Alien: Resurrection
- Imagina Award for Best Visual Effects (second prize) for Alien: Resurrection
- Imagina Golden Teapot for "Homage to Jesse and Carl"
- MIFED Golden Prize for "Homage to Jesse and Carl"
- Master of Visual Effects in Paris for "Orangina the flipper"
- Best Use of Visual Effects at Spotitalia for "Mulino Bianco"
- Technical Grand Prize at the Cannes Film Festival for Dead Tired