Pitts Model 12
|Pitts Model 12|
|National origin||United States of America|
|Manufacturer||Jim Kimball Enterprises|
|First flight||March 1996|
|Number built||59 (2011)|
US$47,995 for the Kit, US$180,000 plus for factory built examples in 2004.
The Pitts Model 12 aka "Bolshoi" aka "Macho Stinker" is a high performance aerobatic biplane designed around the Vedeneyev M14P/PF engine. The aircraft can be built from plans, kits, or can be bought factory completed.
Design and development
The Pitts Model 12 is a biplane built using fabric covered welded steel tubing for the fuselage, and fabric covered wings with wood spars. The leading edge is made of formed plywood. The landing gear is solid aluminum.
By December 2011 59 examples had been completed and flown.
There are several models variants
- Plans built
- HP model - Kit
- Model 12S - factory built
- A single place variant has been constructed by Jim Kimball Enterprises called "The Beast".
Specifications (Pitts Model 12)
Data from Pitts model 12.com
- Capacity: 2
- Length: 20 ft 6 in (6.25 m)
- Wingspan: 23 ft (7.0 m)
- Empty weight: 1,550 lb (703 kg)
- Gross weight: 2,250 lb (1,021 kg)
- Fuel capacity: 54 gal
- Powerplant: 1 × Vedeneyev M14P/PF , 360 hp (270 kW)
- Propellers: 3-bladed MT Propeller
- Cruise speed: 148 kn; 274 km/h (170 mph)
- Stall speed: 56 kn; 103 km/h (64 mph)
- Rate of climb: 2,900 ft/min (15 m/s)
Media related to Pitts Model 12 at Wikimedia Commons