Pivot (TV channel)
|Launched||August 1, 2013|
|Owned by||Participant Media|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV)
(HD feed downgraded to letterboxed 480i for SDTVs)
|Slogan||It's Your Turn|
|Broadcast area||United States|
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California|
|Dish Network||Channel 197|
|DirecTV||Channel 267/267 hd(SD only)
Channel 1267 (VOD)
|Available on many cable systems||Check local listings|
|AT&T U-verse (SD/HD)||Channel 1492 (HD)|
|Verizon FIOS||Channel 192 (SD)
Channel 692 (HD)
|Subscription On Demand Service||Pivot Everywhere|
The launch of Pivot was announced on March 27, 2013, and is described as a "disruptive TV" service, focusing on social advocacy. The channel took over the space held by two Participant Media–owned channels, Halogen TV and the Documentary Channel, giving Pivot an initial subscriber base of about 40 million cable and satellite television homes. The channel launched on August 1st at 6AM with a rendition of the song that launched MTV in 1981 (coincidentally, also on August 1st), Video Killed the Radio Star by The Buggles, by several indie music artists, followed by a brief introduction to Pivot by Participant Media founder Jeffrey Skoll, and the first program, the 2010 documentary ReGeneration.  With the launch, Pivot became the first television channel to offer broadband-only subscriptions that allows live streaming of the linear channel and video on demand offerings without requiring a subscription to a pay television service. It was later announced that NeuLion had been selected to design and deliver the new cable network's downloadable interactive app which allows Pivot's content to be delivered to multiple digital devices. It offers its entertainment programming, live and on-demand, to authenticated pay TV subscribers and broadband-only subscribers.
Programming that is seen on Pivot includes original programs such as the variety show HITRECORD ON TV hosted by series co-creator Joseph Gordon-Levitt, the reality-based talk show Raising McCain (hosted by blogger Meghan McCain) and the scripted series Will, a period drama about a young William Shakespeare. Pivot is also the U.S. television home of the Australian comedy drama series Please Like Me, a show created and written by Josh Thomas which will be co-produced by Pivot and the Australian Broadcasting Corporation from the second season onward. The show is positioned to be the face of the network. Another show called Jersey Strong, a docusoap that chronicles the lives of two families from parallel universes. Pivot also has premiered the Japanese anime C-Control on October 5, 2013, the channel's first anime program, however it is not the show's North American television debut since Funimation Channel already played the show in January 2013.
On Jnauary 29th 2015 The UK series Fortitude will premiere on the same date as Sky Atlantic in the United Kingdom . Other programs seen on the channel include acquired shows such as Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Farscape, Friday Night Lights, Little Mosque on the Prairie, Veronica Mars, and live programs and documentaries produced in partnership with Rolling Stone and Noticias Univision.
Former original programs include the late night current events talk show TakePart Live.
The network also airs documentaries like its predecessor the Documentary Channel.
- "Wake Up, Kids: Disruptive TV Is Here Via Participant Media's Pivot Cabler", Variety, March 27, 2013.
- "Participant Introduces 'Pivot' TV Cable Network, First Programming Slate", The Hollywood Reporter, March 27, 2013.
- "Upfronts 2013: Participant Media's Cable Network Named 'Pivot'", Broadcasting & Cable, March 27, 2013.
- New cable network pivots toward social change, USA Today, March 27, 2013.
- Documentary Channel Pivots to Pivot
- Participant Media Starts New TV Network, Pivot, AdWeek, March 27, 2013.
- "NeuLion's TV Everywhere Platform to Power New Downloadable, Interactive App From Pivot, Participant Media's New Network Targeting Millennials". Marketwire. July 29, 2013. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Bibel, Sara (June 26, 2013). "Pivot Announces Premiere Dates for New Shows Including 'Takepart Live', 'Raising McCain', 'Jersey Strong', & 'HitRECord on TV!'". TV by the Numbers. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- Poggi, Jeanine (March 27, 2013). "Meet Pivot, Participant Media's New Cable Channel for Millennials". Retrieved August 1, 2013.