|This article is outdated. (February 2014)|
Pixel speaks at Game Developers Conference.
|Other names||Daisuke Amaya|
|Occupation||Video game developer|
|Known for||Cave Story|
His most popular work, Cave Story, is a freeware PC platform game released in 2004 that was created entirely by himself over the period of five years. The game received widespread praise from critics and in July 2006 appeared at the top of Super PLAY's list of the 50 best freeware games of all time.
Amaya's other work includes the game Ikachan which he released in 2000, as well as many other low-profile games. He is currently developing a 2D game with the working title Rockfish for the iPhone and iPod Touch, and intends to finish development some time in 2012. Amaya was credited with the story concept for Nicklas Nygren's NightSky.
Amaya has created various audio and music composition software. All his music composition software uses a piano roll editing interface.
Org Maker is the software used to create music for the lightweight .org format, which was used in Cave Story.
He is continuously developing the successor to Org Maker, the freeware audio editing suite PxTone. Users can create their own audio samples and compose music using PxTone Collage.
- Sharkey, Scott (2005-02-02). "Freeloader: Doukutsu Monogatari". 1UP.com. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- Park, Eddie (2005-10-12). "Doukutsu Monogatari Freeware Available". Inside Mac Games. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- "The Rise and Fall (and Rise?) of Japan". Electronic Gaming Monthly: 63. September 2008.
- "GRATIS TOPP 50". Super PLAY: 118–121. July 2006.
- Amaya, Daisuke. "開発". 開発 (in Japanese). 開発室 Pixel. Retrieved October 9, 2011.
- Nicalis (January 6, 2011). NightSky (in English). Windows. Level/area: Credits. "Story Concept / Daisuke Amaya"
- Daisuke Amaya's personal page (Japanese)
- Challenging Freeware Classic Cave Story Makes Wii Debut, Gus Mastrapa, Wired, March 22, 2010
- Yu, Derek (2005-04-07). "Interview: PIXEL". The Independent Gaming Source. Archived from the original on 2005-11-25. Retrieved 2009-05-21.
- The Cave Story story, The Brainy Gamer, March 29, 2010